Picking Nettles

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Penny Lane
A selfsufficientish Regular

Picking Nettles

I have noticed lots and lots of lovely new nettles growing where I walk my dog. The best and most accessible patch is near the start of the track and I'd like to have a go at making nettle soup.
The thing I'm worried about is dogs pee! Do dogs pee on nettles? Would it be wiser to just find a less accessible patch and hope for the best??!

Along the same lines, there are loads of wild strawberry plants growing all along the edge of the track where it is extremely likely that they've been pee'd (or worse) on. It's such a shame leaving all those yummy looking strawberries behind!

:flower: Penny
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Re: Picking Nettles

You could wash them?

Zoe

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Dogs do pee on nettles - but usually only on the nettles on the outside of any patch. Six inches in and you should find pee-free plants. And yes, washing them works wonders.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Carltonian Man

If you can find some growing on a steep bank (hedgerow, old railway cutting etc.) they’re unlikely to be pee’d on. Also loads easier on the back when picking; well, providing you face uphill when picking that is :lol: . Like Mike says, best not to pick near the edges.

grahamhobbs

Nothing wrong with pee, certainly that washing and cooking won't deal with, but anyway you only pick the top two leaves which are less likely to have been peed on.

Penny Lane

Thanks all :flower:

I didn't know if washing alone would be enough to remove urine but now I know nothing will stop me... Although I will pick from places that they're least likely to go :wink:

Thank you again!
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.

Big Al

Not many people know this but dog pee makes nettles grow so if you have a dog and a garden .....
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Penny Lane

Ah, that would make sense BA - nettles are plentiful at the very start of the track where dogs are let off, and where they 'go' straight away.

I do have a dog and a garden but I also have 3 hens who have made it their duty to not allow anything to grow in said garden ;)
The Norm.

Henwoman
Barbara Good
Barbara Good
latitude: 3° 11' W
longitude: 48° 20' N

Nothing eats my nettles - not the hens, ducks, rabbits or goats. I always have to strim them down. Then I make an evil smelling liquid fertiliser by putting them in an old dustbin with water. After a few weeks, the resulting liquid seems to be enjoyed by all my veggies.

hedgewizard

Don't see the problem with pee - you're only picking the top 4 leaves (unless you want a really iron-tasting soup), you're going to wash them anyway, and you're going to COOK them anyway. Everyone must eat a peck of dirt before they die!
http://www.farminmypocket.co.uk - polytunnel offers, reviews, and more self-sufficiency information than you can shake a chicken at

JeremyinCzechRep
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

How do people cook nettles? I was thinking of putting them briefly into boiling water and then using them like spinach in a lasagne. Anyone tried that?
When you're sitting in your car, don't complain about the traffic. You are the traffic.
Have a look at my website with lots of photos, recipes and books

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's precisely how I do it, J. Think spinach and you won't go far wrong.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Carltonian Man

JeremyinCzechRep wrote:How do people cook nettles? I was thinking of putting them briefly into boiling water and then using them like spinach in a lasagne. Anyone tried that?
We cream it (creamed spinach recipe) then freeze it in portions. Add another grating of nutmeg before serving. Goes really well with pasta etc. Can also make nettle and walnut pesto.

cocobelle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I've had the same thoughts about the wild garlic growing in my local woods, it's everywhere. I just have to get over it or won't get to enjoy it. Can't let it all go to waste.
Organic Baby Clothes made with natural, sustainable fabrics.