catch crop backfiring... help!

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

catch crop backfiring... help!

When I planted my potatoes, I thought I would sow some salad as a catch crop (like it said in the books :? )
Everything was looking good and I got a few salad leaves... then I went away... I now have a jungle of leaves, potatoes needing earthing up and I have no idea what to do with that mess! Do I try to remove the salads then earth up? Close my eyes and pretend it's all going to be ok?

Also my spinach decided to run to seed (thanks Mr for not watering, grrr). Can I still crop it or is it time for the compost heap?

thanks

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: catch crop backfiring... help!

oh Julie,what a pickle you are in, but don't worry, these things happen and it is all part of the learning process. I would try and dig out the salad leaves if possible and replant them somewhere else or in a large pot or trough and give them a good watering, tidy up any damaged and yellow leaves and you might be able to get something again. Earth up your potatoes. Have a try of your spinach, sometimes it doesn't taste terrible if it is shooting up tall, if it is all horrible and bitter then obviously compost it, but if it tastes ok you could pick it, and if there is more than you can eat now, blanch it and freeze the surplus

I only plant salad near things like climbing french beans, sweetcorn or between slow crops like parsnip or carrot and use that space as they are going up rather than out and the salad can benefit the taller plants by keeping the roots covered

julie_lanteri
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: catch crop backfiring... help!

thanks Lyn. live and learn...
I'll sort it out this weekend. Getting ready to go to Gardeners World live in Birmingham (there is a new kitchen/edible gardens area), with a 10 month old little one, it's an expedition!