Veg seed viability

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Veg seed viability

I sorted through my seed packets the other weekend to work out what seed I need to buy for next year. I ended up with 6 packets that were past their use by date, or to be precise, 5 past their use by date and one well within.
That one was parsnip which I bought last year and stated sow by 2018, but I have always used fresh seed every year.
The other 5 were Leek (2015), Sweetcorn (saved 2015), January King cabbage (2016), Savoy King (2013) and Summer cabbage (2016).
I did a germination test on them and the results were, Leek 0%, Summer cabbage 0%, Jan King cabbage 50%, Savoy King 50% and Sweetcorn 100%.
The Savoy King is expensive F1 seed so well worth doing this test as I have more than enough to sow double the amount I need instead of buying a new packet at €4.50 odd, even though it will be 5 years after it use by date.

Oh and the parsnip, 0%, so it seems I was right (yet again :lol: )
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Veg seed viability

Definitely well worth doing. We had some PSB which continued to germinate happily well beyond its sow by date (as in about 8 years beyond :oops: ).

Tomato seeds keep really well too.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I grew some Russian Kale years ago and the patch was then turned into a lawn, when I dug the lawn up about 15 years later it was smothered in Russian Kale seedlings the next spring.
Not sure that's a foolproof way of storing seeds though.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

With brassicas of all sorts you can be quite lucky with seeds carrying on from one year to the next and a few after that. Depending on how you store them of course.

There's a lesson about not buying more than you need or forgetting to sow them of course. :lol: