Asparagus Growth

Anything to do with growing herbs and vegetables goes here.
adekun
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Asparagus Growth

Not so much a growth but perhaps a grass?
Over the past couple of days I've been watching the first spears break through. For a couple of months there has been a different lone shoot. Although I’ve meticulously weeded the beds I left this as I thought it was from the crown. Another has just appeared about in between plants about a foot away. Not the best of photos, but is anyone willing to hazard a guess.
Should I pull it or leave it?

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

ummm, can't see the pic.

Edited so say where did the pic reappear from? eEEEK.

hANG ON, IT'S GONE AGAIN!

*Haunted laptop blog*
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

adekun
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I can see it. Here is a link for those who can't see it:

http://www.adekun.com/media/asparagus.jpg

:?

funkypixie
Living the good life
Living the good life

Can see it again now :?

Doesn't look like anything that comes up with my asparagus - I think I'd pull it up.
Just when you think you're in it up to your neck & it can't get any worse, something craps on your head.

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

G'Day Mate, Nice to see you back with us! :mrgreen:

Unfortunately, whenever I have found anything like that and left it grow to see what it was, it inevitably became a problem. I dunno what it is either but I've gotta go with the 'pixie on this one.

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

adekun
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Not too much growing or going on at the moment...
Since it grew out of the middle of the crown I didn't want to risk it. It seems the risk is that it might now be hopelessly entangled.
It has a good half day for a last minute reprieve.

:flower:

ohareward
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hi Adekun, normally the shoots should have small buds on the tips. Going by your pic it appears to be smooth. How old are your plants? It is better to leave them for the first year uncut. But if they are older I would remove it.

Robin
'You know you are a hard-core gardener if you deadhead flowers in other people's gardens.

To err is human. To blame someone else, is management potential.

adekun
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello there, Canterbury's a nice area.

The crowns were two years old when I stuck them in, last October - that is if I understood the label correctly. No buds on the shoot, so it seems three against. I have the other one, to see what the roots are like. I'm going to try keeping off the spears this year.

Thanks to everybody for their thoughts.

:bom:

digiveg
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi Adekun,

That tall green thingie is NOT asparagus. And, in the interests of allowing your asparagus (which looks very nice, by the way) ALL the available nutrients in that bed, I'd suggest pulling it up or at the least cutting it off at ground level. Best not to disturb the roots when they're doing they're best to provide you with a tasty dinner...

Mine are just coming up (in south Wales) having been transplanted from Dorset. (Both nice areas.) My fingers are tightly crossed.

Apparently asparagus beds eventually stop producing because they divide and crowd each other out. I planted 24 crowns 6 years ago, but dug up around 80 - which are now spread apart over two beds. I drool in anticipation...
When my pursuit of freedom causes harm to another living being, it becomes a dictatorship.