Grow your own drugs - BBC 2

Do you think The Good Life could be remade, with me or Dave playing Tom Good (maybe not!)? If you have seen something on TV or heard something on the radio recently that you want to talk about, tell us here.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Grow your own drugs - BBC 2

I found it interesting because on my shopping list for the UK next month is citric acid and glycerine. I suppose I could get them here in France actually. Anyway I remember a lot of you saying you had problems buying citric acid from chemists yet on this proggy he keeps saying "you can get these things from any chemist shop".

I'm enjoying the programme although James (not Chris!!!) doesn't do anything for me lookswise. It may be because he is miles too young for me! :lol:

I am sure I've seen him already and somewhere on the web they mentioned he was at Chelsea in 2004 - must go and google - not sure if they meant a show garden or what??? :scratch:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Millymollymandy

Yup he seems to be a garden designer as well - he's exhibiting at Chelsea this year too:

Turismo de Canarias: “Canarias – View of Paradise”
Sponsor: Turismo de Canarias
Designer: James Wong and David Cubero
Contractor: Arun Landscapes

Planted exclusively with species native and iconic to the Canary Island, Archipelago, this ‘floating’ garden aims to transport visitors to the threatened floral of what many biologists call “Europe’s Galapagos”.

Ovalina
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Well I fell asleep! :wink: :wink:

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

:oops: I was thinking about how he reminded me of the guy from that 'kick ass moves' show, who's name actually is Chris :-D See? Pretty things distract me :lol:
Harm None!

Shirley

Well I thought he was quite tasty! I've only just watched the fruit one and was surprised to hear him say use FIVE stock cubes to make that pot of chicken soup! FIVE!!

Didn't learn much but it was interesting (yes, the 'cover your ass so you don't get sued' comments were irritating to me too)
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I saw last night's, again little to do with growing your own, but I liked the lozenges - have just sent for gum arabic and will let you know the results.

The only problem is I don't have a sore throat :lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

theabsinthefairy

MMM

I have successfully managed to order citric acid here in France from the chemist's after managing to reassure them that I am not a druggie - apparently one of the reasons it is now harder to get hold of, and usually has to be ordered in and not kept in stock usually is because druggies use it to cut other more noxious white powders with.

There you go, learn something new every day. (no smiley for shrugging a bit bemused)

My chemist looked most perplexed when I explained I wanted it to make elderflower champagne with - apart from the obvious, ''champagne does not come from this region Madame'', I also got an even more quizzical look when I confirmed yes elderflower - not the berry!!
2010 is my year of projects - 365 days and 365 projects.

You can follow my progress on
absinthe fairy blog

my photos are avavilable here
absinthefairy

my shop is available here
mojaziemia

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Drug users actually use it to get rid of the crap in their heroin, it makes it clump up and then they can get the cleaner heroin.

I thought it was quite funny that yer man was talking about getting opium from your garden poppies - do you think he'll get arrested for pushing class A drugs. :lol:
Maggie

cathode
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Maggie, where are you getting the gum arabic? It's the one thing I don't know where to get, although carrageen/ agar agar can be tricky.

I'm getting really irritated by the lack of mention for herbalists - we have this sort of practical knowledge AND the clinical training to treat actual real people. Blooming ethnobotanist academic gardener! Tho the recipes are brilliant.

Not sure about using geranium leaves in the marigold gel, might be a bit irritating. Maybe a drop of the essential oil instead?

He's a bit toothy for me... :mrgreen:
if we all work together we can totally disrupt the system

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

E8ay - hated by many, my lifeline.
Maggie

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

He went to great lengths when talking about the geranium to not mention essential oils. I'm guessing he couldn't because he's talking about using them internally.
Maggie

ocailleagh
Living the good life
Living the good life

I popped into town today so I went and inspected the book...better than I expected, though nothing very substantial. All the recipes seemed to be in there, with some basic herbal medicine type techiniques-infusing oils etc-and a basic herbal at the back. Oh, and it was approved by the FSC..or whoever..the forestry people...since the paper was from sustainable trees...I've forgotten the price though :oops:
And for those of you wondering, loads of photos, but not very many of James :lol:
Harm None!

Millymollymandy

theabsinthefairy wrote:MMM

I have successfully managed to order citric acid here in France from the chemist's after managing to reassure them that I am not a druggie - apparently one of the reasons it is now harder to get hold of, and usually has to be ordered in and not kept in stock usually is because druggies use it to cut other more noxious white powders with.

There you go, learn something new every day. (no smiley for shrugging a bit bemused)

My chemist looked most perplexed when I explained I wanted it to make elderflower champagne with - apart from the obvious, ''champagne does not come from this region Madame'', I also got an even more quizzical look when I confirmed yes elderflower - not the berry!!
I think that's why I decided to buy it in England because my lazy side says it's easier to explain what I want it for in English than in French. :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: