Do you think pigs will do the trick?

Do you keep livestock? Having any problems? Want to talk about it, whether it be sheep, goats, chickens, pigs, bees or llamas, here is your place to discuss.
cooltrikerchick
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Do you think pigs will do the trick?

We bought an old property with just over 2 acres at auction ( mega loads of work to do, but no money lol)

we did intend having pigs, but on a rough bit of ground which would be ideal for pigs to clean up for us.

we had the keys on thursday,

We know there is Jap knotweed in the area, and on the boundaries around the house and on parts of the land, but since thursday we have seen new knotweed growth coming up in the 3rd of an acre garden around the property..( which we intended to make a nice kitchen garden) The previous owner must have been mowing it down etc so no traces of it could be seen.

SOOOOOOOOOOO we thought we would put the pigs in the gaeden part of the land first... our friends which have had pigs for years, said they would eat it etc, BUT... would they eventually get rid of it for us? or will it still survive after being eaten?

We thought we would now have to keep pigs on garden part of the land for a good year or two.

We would take the long term option with a 4-5 year plant with pesticide, BUT our garden boundary is a stream/culvert, which will hinder the way we will have to use the pesticide.. ( will prob have to inject each stem)

Just wondering on your thoughts on this,

and any advice would be really appreciated..

thanks

demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Re: Do you think pigs will do the trick?

get the pigs on it. they'll root up all the soil and eat everything for you. it will turn into lovely manured mud in no time :)
avoid using chemicals, pigs are better :iconbiggrin:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

The Riff-Raff Element

Pigs will get rid of most things, but knotweed is a toughie. The problem is that the rhizomes extend to a depth of up to 3m, rather deeper than the most enthusiastic pig will root. Pigs will no doubt clear a patch of knotweed, but as soon as they are moved on it will push again.

This might be one of those unfortunate occasions when it is best to reach for the glyphosphate, which does at least have the merit of breaking down very quickly in the soil. Not what you might want, but there it is.

Also, bear in mind that in many countries, Japanese knotweed is a controlled waste - you can't dispose of it at the tip, in other words.

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pigs, glyphosphate (injected), dig the buggers, lay light-excluding membrane of one form or another, slash 'em down at the first sign, dig some more, more glyphosphate and pigs etc. etc.

After a few years, you may be clear. Sorry to be a doom merchant. But at least you can make a start and get a small area as clear as you can realistically expect and get some crops into it.

Oh - and never, ever give Japanese knotweed a chance to photosynthesise for more than two seconds.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

oldjerry

I bow to no man in my admiration for the capabilities of a pig,basically I prefer them to humans,but RRE has it dead right they wont do the job.Only Glyphosate will do the trick,and MKG's right too,it'll take several applications.A fiend of mine makes a good living travelling the country doing this for various councils.Basically cut the stems to 1ft,then pour glyph.solution into the hollow stems.
Personally,I wouldn't mix glyph with any animals but it's probably OK.
Contact the council they might help with advice\cash.
Find out where the previous owner lives now,you owe him one. Best Wishes.

ktibble
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Japanese Knott Weed has to be dealt with very carefully being extremely prolific. I wonder whether the pigs might even make the problem worse given that they will be digging and spreading the small pieces of root that will then develop into further plants. I try to avoid using chemicals at all cost but have to agree with others previous comments. This might be your only option.....

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Don't forget that you can eat the new shoots.

Zoe

The Riff-Raff Element

Thomzo wrote:Don't forget that you can eat the new shoots.

Zoe
Perhaps. But I'm willing to bet that the bloody stuff would survive being digested :shock:

oldjerry

Of course it will,farmers have been struggling with this for years,if there were a simple answer they'd have come up with it.You can use glyphosate,or it wont work.