Unwanted links in posts on this forum

PLEASE REPORT ANY FORUM SPAM ON HERE.

Also if you have any other personal spam or other spam matters then feel free to post them here.
Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Unwanted links in posts on this forum

I posted something about rainwater harvesting a couple of days ago. In one of the posts I included the phrase "my family". When I viewed the post a day later I found that the phrase "my family" had become a hyperlink to a website selling stuff. In fact the website changes everytime I click on it, the second time it linked through to a foreign hotel chain. Is there a bug on this website or are you sponsored by someone?
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

GeorgeSalt
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: Unwanted links in posts on this forum

It could be that the forum has something like skimlinks working as an affiliate programme. Or it could be something on your end, a browser add-in that you may have unwittingly picked up. I don't see these, so perhaps it's your end.

Check which browser extensions/add-ins you have running and see if disabling them removes the links.

Run HitmanPro or your preferred malware scanner.
Curently collecting recipes for The Little Book of Liqueurs..

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I haven't noticed this happening before, so it could possibly be that your computer has been infected, although I would have thought your anti-virus software would pick that up.
If it happens again send me a PM without deleting the link and I will ban the IP address. That would stop the hyper-link being added after you posted it, and would narrow it down to the link being embedded in your original text.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Aha, I'm using Firefox and there was an addon enabled which converts useful phrases to links. So it was at my end, mea culpa and all that. Now I've got to find out who installed it!
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

Milims
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Crickleymal wrote:Aha, I'm using Firefox and there was an addon enabled which converts useful phrases to links. So it was at my end, mea culpa and all that. Now I've got to find out who installed it!
That's scary! :pale:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

That happened to me a while ago, and I was looking at my own website at the time, so I knew I hadn't put the links in! I was also using my own computer, which no one else uses, so the culprit for installing the addon had to be, um, me :oops:
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/