Just saying Hello from Brittany, France

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Beewoman
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: Sandra Chubb

Just saying Hello from Brittany, France

I've been in central Brittany now for nearly 14 years. I came alone but have two cats, a small flock of various hens, seven ducks - mostly Muscovy, two female Emden geese and one Chinese gander, five ewes, a ram and two lambs born at New Year. I also have six hives of black Breton bees and took 51kgs of honey in September last year, my best harvest so far. I also run two holiday gites. My current guests were helping me with the sheep yesterday - always good news to get some help. I also have Workawayers on and off through the year who are great for doing all sorts of tasks both on the field and in the garden and houses. I have a fairly large polytunnel and lots of raised veggie beds and love working outside.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Just saying Hello from Brittany, France

Hi Beewoman and welcome to Ish. :wave:

It sounds like you've got a lovely set up there. Have a look round the forum and ask any questions (or, indeed, answer some :lol: ). There's tons of info you can get, or add to.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Hi Beewoman, I'd say that your extended livestock is enough to keep you busy. Having grown up as a farmer's daughter I appreciate anyone who keeps sheep as they have many ways to kill themselves. With that lot you won't have room for goats. Now goats are fun. If you like entertaining teenagers. :wink: :mrgreen:

What do you do in your spare time? I know - sleep. :mrgreen:

ina

Hi Beewoman - what a coincidence, I'm just reading "A honey bee heart has five openings" - a year of keeping bees, by Helen Jukes... (I tend to buy anything that has bees in the title!)
Your lot of animals sounds fun. I had a couple of goats in the past - yes, I agree with Flo - lots of, er, entertainment! I've worked with just about any other kind of livestock, but it's all quite a while ago now.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Viper254
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hi! Sounds like you have plenty to keep you busy :)
AKA Simon.

Trying to get to grips with a Staffordshire allotment (UK)