newbie from Bulgaria

We love hearing from you, so here is your chance. Introduce yourself and tell us what makes you selfsufficient 'ish'. Go on don't be shy, we welcome one and all. You can also tell us how you heard about us if you like.
Ognen
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

newbie from Bulgaria

Hi all

I have read this forum with interest and thought I would put my head up to say hello! :cheers:

I have a small holding in Bulgaria and moved out here in October....ready for the winter Brrrrrrrrrr

Hope Stonehead is reading this as I have a piggy question ( or anyone that can help). We have two girls of 5 months and as soon as the electric fence goes up we want the girls to go out and have fun in the field, Now all the locals say we MUST NOT feed the pigs grass after frost has first been and we MUST NOT put the pigs out on the grass until March??? They say if we feed the pigs grass they will DIE. Now that's something I don't want to happen (obviously) But what are they talking about??????? I know Stoehead lives somewhere cold (can't remember where!!) so thought he might be able to help. It seems extreme to say the least as here they feed the pigs anything....we had an Indian eveing the other night and the local pigman was quite adiment that the pigs should eat the beef Rogan Gosh and the Tandori chicken bones that were left. (No we didn't!!) So please help :help:

shiney
A selfsufficientish Regular

Welcome!

I am sure Stoney will be able to give you lots of advice about pigs.

What else do you have on your smallholding?
If in doubt ~ use a hammer!

http://greeningup.blogspot.com/

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello there and welcome to the forum. - I heard it does get might cold over there during the winter, good luck!
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow! Bulgaria!

Sounds interesting Ognen,

Welcome to the site!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

chadspad

WOW Bulgaria indeed!! Hi Ognen & welcome. I keep seeing Bulgaria on the TV and it looks lovely - and cheap still to purchase property. Noone else seems as keen as me tho as it does seem a little backwards with regards to things we would deem as normal ie use of horse and carts instead of cars, is that the case?
My parents B&B in the beautiful French Vendee http://bed-breakfast-vendee.mysite.orange.co.uk/

The Chili Monster

"Rich, fatty foods are like destiny: they too, shape our ends." ~Author Unknown

Support Team "Trim Taut & Terrific"

HILLDREAMER90
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

HELLO :cheers: :cheers:
DONT NOTICE THE TINY FLEA IN THE OTHER PERSONS HAIR AND OVERLOOK THE LUMBERING YAK ON YOUR OWN NOSE.

monkeynuts
Tom Good
Tom Good

Hello and welcome to s-ish, you say you moved out there....from where may I ask...ok so I'm a little nosey :lol:
xxx Mrs G xxx
Neeps The friendly forum

Ognen
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi all and thanks for the welcomes!

At the moment we only have our girls but are getting Geese, chooks, ducks, goats and a couple of sheep. You can't buy new livestock at this time of the year as everything is slaughtered so that the animals are not fed over the winter...obviously excepting the mommies and daddies to be! So when the time comes and there are youngsters available we are on the lists!

Monkeynuts..Hi I'm an Essex girl ..through and through even got white wellies with stilettos!

Chadspad..Hi no we are not quite as backward as that but close!! There are still an awful lot of horse (for the posh) or donkey and carts on the roads which is great but there are also an incredable amount of ancient Ladas on the roads...my old girl is 25 years old ....bless. But about 50% of the transport is made up of flash BMWs, Mercs and 4x4s. It is a land of contrasts. Most houses have outside loos, we had ours put inside..because we are English and therefore strange. It is a truly beautiful country and yes it is still cheap to buy. I would equate it with England in the 40s or how I have heard England was. The people are wonderful and truly astonished that we want to live here rather than England. But apart from the beauty there are no yobs on the streets no louts in the shopping centre the kids respect their elders and everyone is polite and considerate of each other. The neigbours can't stop feeding us...even tho we have plenty and they have very little...they just want to help. |We had a container delivered today and in the process of unloading it some villagers walking passed got stuck in and shifted all the stuff! Never seen them before but thats the way it is here.

As you may be able to tell I am quite taken with it!

I can't get to the Net very often..one of the drawbacks I live 20 Kms from an Internet cafe! but I hope I can chat with you all.
Any help with the pig problem anyone?????????????????
Sorry about the length of the post Mod!! :flower:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ognen wrote: Sorry about the length of the post Mod!! :flower:
S'ok :lol: we have had much longer. There are no rules on the length of posts on here.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Millymollymandy

Hi Ognen and welcome! It is really interesting to hear about people smallholding in different countries so I hope you will be able to get on the net occasionally and update us on how it is going!