NETTLE wine

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
WILDBREW
Tom Good
Tom Good

NETTLE wine

2 gallons made using red grape juice
2 gallons using my recipe Recipe of two gallons
Ingredients
Nettle tops 4quarts (4 ½ Lt)
2Lt- white grape juice.
2kg- white sugar.
1 strong cup of tea (no leaves or milk)
4 lemons(no pith or pips or skin)
1tsp Ritchies wine yeast.
Water.
Method
To measure fresh nettle tops, cut off and discard stalks and gently press tops in measuring jug. Lightly rinse fresh tops in cold water. Then add to your FV then make some sugar syrup with half of the sugar and then add to the FV then cover and leave to cool when cool add the cup of strong cold tea the juice of the lemons and the grape juice add the tsp of yeast cover and leave. Stir 2 times a day for ten days, after 7 days add the other half of the sugar as a cold sugar syrup, on day ten strain the nettle tops with some fine muslin cloth and then add the liquid to the DJs top up to the neck with cold water. Then leave to fully ferment out, when fermenting as stopped rack add finings rack when clear and leave to mature for about 12 months.
:thumbright:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: NETTLE wine

Is this something you make regularly or first attempt? I'm just wondering how it tastes. I find the taste of nettles too muddy (earthy?) for anything much other than nettle soup in early spring

We made nettle beer a while ago and I couldn't drink it - it was made entirely from nettles though, previous attempts adding nettles (with heather) to a beer recipe were OK.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've made nettle wine just from nettles and really enjoyed it. Not at all what you'd expect. It's an almost spicy taste. One I'll definitely do again.

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I am just about to bottle some nettle wine I started in June. I used nettle tea (15 bags) boiled in 1 gallon of water (4 L) for about five - ten minutes; removed the bags and when the tea had cooled I added about 18 oz (about 500 g) of Star-thistle honey. Am using a wine yeast (AW4) and the alcohol is about 5.25% so it is like a beer or a cider.
I make my own extracts and so am about to add about 1 tablespoon of lemon extract (the peel of lemons steeped in vodka for a few weeks) to give it a bit more of a zing.