Mulberry wine

Homebrew, cordials, cheese, dehydrating, smoking and soap making. An area for all problems to be asked, tips to be given and procedures shared.
BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Mulberry wine

A neighbor and I share a mulberry tree (black mulberry) and last year was the first time I tried to harvest the fruit to make a mulberry liqueur - quite lovely. This year I am harvesting the berries to make a mulberry wine. Has anyone made mulberry wine? Do I need to snip off the little green spike at the end of the berry to avoid excessive bitterness or does the flavor of the berry mask the flavor of those ends?

So far I have collected a scant 2 lbs (very scant kg) but I am hoping to gather about 4 -5 lbs to make a gallon of mulberry wine. The easiest way to harvest them is to place a large tarp under the tree and gently shake the branches. Ripe berries fall to the tarp but some less than ripe do too. I have to say that the color of the must is quite delightful. Very dark red.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Mulberry wine

Sorry, Bernard, I've got no idea. I buy dried white mulberries for an occasional "sweet fix" nibble. I can imagine how good they'd taste as wine but they're hellish expensive.

Mulberry trees are quite rare over here these days. I think they probably get ripped out for new build areas as they're so big.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

BernardSmith
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Mulberry wine

Over here, in upstate NY, folk dislike mulberry bushes and trees because of the amount of staining fruit the trees drop and the birds help spread. I have yet to see mulberries being sold in the local farmers markets but between yesterday and today my wife and I were able to collect about 2 kg of berries in a few minutes.