Selfsufficientish Courses what do you want?

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Selfsufficientish Courses what do you want?

Very good idea about making stuff, I had overlooked that. Haybox oven and pot in pot cooler are pretty easy really and would not take much time but the solar stuff takes more time so yep to include a few things could make a good course.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Tony
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Hi Andy,

I think the cost of courses being around £30- £40 per day is about as fair as you can get it, and as you say around 10-15 people max, a point to keep in mind is that at the maxim number of 15 people your probably going to need two people as part of the team or your going to get tired and not able to fully stay on line as to what your going to do.

From what I have read so far on the site, I think the idea of making use of a piece of land that can be a focal point for various subject matters covered here would be a good starting point, and the beginning point for growing the educational courses that will come from having it as a regular place that people can remember as a location.

regards

tony

mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

oo yeah, the haybox thing for me too.

I'd be more than willing to travel as long as you can tell me how to get from the train station to where we're eventually going to be at as you being in bristol I'd be using my GWR staffpass and getting some freeness out of it.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

QuakerBear

MummyBear and I recently went on a chicken keeping introduction course organised by Omlette and I have to say it was very good. Maybe you could do a similar course where you introduced a more advanced topic to compleate beginners just as a taster.

I've also seen a course advertised called making old clothes into new. I think many people would be interested in that and it would appeal to crafters as well as Ishers.

On one course I went on the chap hosting baked scones for us which we had with his homemade jam. It was lovely, a really nice finnishing touch and felt just like a tea party. :lol:
QuakerBear

prison break fan

Glad to hear it is all taking shape. Daughter and I could probable manage Bristol to start with. Wouldn't it be wonderful countrywide! Maybe next year. Looking forward to it already! pbf

linzibean
Tom Good
Tom Good

Bristol would be good for me, I can easily get there on the train from the in-laws place :)
When I was young people called me a hippy. Now I'm a bit older I'm just called environmentally aware..... that's progress!

Peggy Sue

What about linking up with local Adult Education centres, they often offer cheap locations/subsidies. You could even offer weekends. There's one near us that does a fri night til Sun teatime ofr around £150-£200 depending on subject costs, groups of 10ish, to include accomodation & food so it's a great weekend away.

That way people who are miles away could make the effort. You could do lots of subjects, an fternoon jam making, evening on the homebrew (if you see what I mean..), morning on r,r,r, etc.

I used to do wine tasting weekends on one of these places, it was like a holiday for the skint!
Just Do It!

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I'd be up for traveling to Bristol once we have moved back to Cornwall though then it's not too far I bet my sister would be up for it too. Basic Organic growing, Reduce Reuse Recycle & Foraging - Herb identification, mushroom identification and all other wild foods would interest me

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andy Hamilton wrote:Very good idea about making stuff, I had overlooked that. Haybox oven and pot in pot cooler are pretty easy really and would not take much time but the solar stuff takes more time so yep to include a few things could make a good course.
Making a solar oven out of two cardboard boxes can be done in a couple of hours with a minimum of skill and equipment, but works fairly well. Might be an easy way in Andy?

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

KellyB
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

When you do these courses would it be an idea to film them so that those living too far away can at least buy a DVD???

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Not sure about DVD although we might just put some stuff up for free on Youtube and the like will have to see what happens - that is if we have time!

It looks like we will start with a bit of foraging course after we had 200 people turn up to the last free one :shock: . We are still working out the final details but we should have one next month at some point and another in November and it will be in Bristol. Please PM or email me if you want a place.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

Christine
Living the good life
Living the good life

Hmm - in Sheffield, so tricky getting to Bristol...

If you ever feel like taking a course or two on the road to Sheffield, let me know and I'll contact some local organisations that might be interested in hosting and promoting (I work organising and delivering training for voluntary sector organisations in Sheffield/S Yorks, so I have a few contacts and could do some promotion through work, too).
I know for sure that you could get an audience on foraging - but focus on weeds and plants rather than mushrooms/fungi, as there are fewer dangerous potential errors!
Northern College might work in partnership with you on a weekend and I agree that low energy solutions would be a great topic to include.

lsm1066
Living the good life
Living the good life

Andy Hamilton wrote:Not sure about DVD although we might just put some stuff up for free on Youtube and the like will have to see what happens - that is if we have time!

It looks like we will start with a bit of foraging course after we had 200 people turn up to the last free one :shock: . We are still working out the final details but we should have one next month at some point and another in November and it will be in Bristol. Please PM or email me if you want a place.
Happy to put you up if you fancy doing a "Foraging on The Wash" course :wink:
Lynne

Big Al

http://www.rivercottage.net/Events37~30 ... aging.aspx

Look at the cost of tickets at the bottom of the page.........
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ouch! Well I for one won't be going on any of their courses! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/