Copywright

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

It is clear now, except the problem with the recipes. I can now no longer post any more recipes on this site because I don't remember where I got them from - I take loads from the internet and save them but don't keep details of who wrote them/made them up. I expect lots of them posted on the many recipe sites are taken from somewhere else anyway!

Stonehead

Millymollymandy wrote:It is clear now, except the problem with the recipes. I can now no longer post any more recipes on this site because I don't remember where I got them from - I take loads from the internet and save them but don't keep details of who wrote them/made them up. I expect lots of them posted on the many recipe sites are taken from somewhere else anyway!
And not just those on the internet. You'd be surprised how many of the cookery writers, both of books and in magazines, lift their recipes. The canny ones take them from books that are out of copright and update them, the sensible ones get permission from and give credit to the originator and modify them, but a surprising number just rip them off.

It used to be part of one of my jobs to spot things like this. I could tell you about a very well known TV celebrity who lifted a lot of other peoples' work over the years (not recipes ) and had them published in magazines, but that's a story for another day and one not to be put in writing! :cooldude:

As for recipes for which you don't have the original source, either don't publish them or, if you do, put a disclaimer on saying that the source is unknown but that if anyone can prove authorship you'll happily remove it or give them credit. (To prove authorship, they'd have to show evidence of the idea developing, proof of the final version and, possibly, date and place of publication but you don't need to publish to get the protection of copyright.)

The most important thing is that if you do post with a disclaimer, you must abide by it if someone contacts you or the owner of the website about the recipe. What you do, is take the recipe down pending verification of their authorship. If they can't prove authorship in a reasonable time frame (give them at least a month), then you could put it back.

As an example, I've posted a bacon curing recipe that I found written on a piece of paper. It's extremely unlikely that anyone could come forward and claim it as theirs, but I've still put on the recipe that it was found and where.

gunners71uk

stoney can i copy and paste me own posts from one forum to another as long they are me own material.
regards dave

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

gunners71uk wrote:stoney can i copy and paste me own posts from one forum to another as long they are me own material.
regards dave
I don't see why that would be a problem at all.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

hedgewizard

No, it's not a problem because you own the copyright to your own work, Gunners. You can post it wherever you want!

loopybretonbunny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Being previously involved in copyright law I thought that I would post. What has been said is mainly correct as I understand it but actually doing something about it is very very difficult. Look how even the big multinationals with hundereds of lawyers and millions to spend on court preceedings are failing to bring all but a handful of cases to a successful completion.

Millymollymandy

Are you Loopy on Grumpy Old Gits forum? :lol:

loopybretonbunny
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Millymollymandy wrote:Are you Loopy on Grumpy Old Gits forum? :lol:
oui, et moi pensez que je sais qui vous êtes !

Millymollymandy

Actually I used to be MMM over there when it was the previous versions of the forum, but when the new forum started I just decided to change my name to MM instead of MMM!!

Anyway nice to see you here!