No rubbish fortnight

Thought it would be nice to let you lot know what is going on and any future plans etc.
Shirley
A selfsufficientish Regular

wulf wrote:
How about a gentler "here's one way I've cut down my rubbish" challenge running at the same time?

That's a good idea!!!!
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

DaisyDaisy
Tom Good
Tom Good

wulf wrote: How about a gentler "here's one way I've cut down my rubbish" challenge running at the same time?
I'd be up for that - I keep my non-recyclable rubbish to a minimum as it is and would love to hear how I could reduce that even further.

:flower: :flower:

red

Shirlz2005 wrote:Hmmmm

Coffee and tea should be fine - why can you not have those M3? The jar can be reused and the teabags can go onto the compost heap.
the coffee jars we buy (fair trade) have plastic lids. you can recycle them into plant pot saucers i guess, but there is a limit on how many you need in a lifetime. just like a limit on how many draught excluders you need.

will be a difficult 14 days to achieve (particularly if you dont cheat and buy stuff before hand!!), definitely makes you think
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Millymollymandy

Shirlz2005 wrote:Hmmmm

Coffee and tea should be fine - why can you not have those M3? The jar can be reused and the teabags can go onto the compost heap.

We can get yeast in little tins here - again reusable. I buy a packet of yeast though and it lasts for ages - much more cost effective than the little sachets.

Rice and pasta - don't some come in recyclable cardboard packaging. You could always stuff the plastic packaging into a cushion cover or something to use as outdoor cushions, or into a sausage shape to make a draught excluder - that's what I'm planning to do with any that we get.

Sugar - will you go through a packet in two weeks? Biscuits - make your own?

Can't you buy loose tatties?

It's interesting this - it will highlight the different challengesthat different parts of the world have when it comes to recycling, and precycling.
I will certainly do the "See how much rubbish I use and try to reduce as much as possible" thing!

I just started looking at all the basics I use, and thinking, I can recycle the plastic bottle of milk, but there's a disc of non-recyclable foil on the top.

Ditto the coffee container, now the glass I can recycle, but the plastic lid I don't want at all.

The sugar is for my husband and yes he easily gets thru a packet a fortnight, and I can't make biscuits because I can't get rid of the butter packaging.

I don't put tea bags into the compost as the bags do not degrade and I got sick of picking them out of the flower beds years ago!

Loose spuds - yes sometimes but they have to go into a plastic bag to be weighed - no paper bags in this country! And all loose veg costs more than packaged in France.

It certainly makes you think! :shock: What I didn't want to do is cheat by only using half a packet of something to avoid using it all and not being able to throw it into the bin, or opening packets of biscuits to put in a tin before the challenge starts. :lol:

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

smokers - have filterless rollies. The butts are compostable...

I don't think i can do this one. Stupid work gets in the way (they've cut off internet access this week :shock: )

Good luck though!

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

1 black bag just collected by bin men. Promise next week to put out on Thursday evening not adding anything on Friday morning.

We have reduced our waste since this thread was started by making scones and sausage rolls for lunch boxes. Have also found a fab microwave bread recipe on another site.

Shirley

Dishwasher tablets - I use the ecover ones - I'm not going to wash up by hand for two weeks :mrgreen: It's supposed to be more eco friendly to use a dishwasher anyway.

I've used the faith in nature liquid before but it's not very good.

I'll have a go with the soapnuts in the dishwasher and see whether that works.

Any other suggestions, apart from going to stay in a hotel for two weeks?
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

Shirlz2005 wrote: It's supposed to be more eco friendly to use a dishwasher anyway.
A dishwasher uses more water and also uses electricity compared to hand washing or am i missing somthing?

Shirley

[quote]Dishwashers are the way to go if you comply with two simple criteria. “Run a dishwasher only when it’s full, and don’t rinse your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.â€Â
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

paradox
Living the good life
Living the good life

wow my 100th post :cooldude:

Thanks for the link i shall go take a look now.

red

Shirlz2005 wrote:Dishwasher tablets - I use the ecover ones -
I've always found the ecover ones pretty pants.. have they improved them?

I noticed the washing power now says something on the box along the lines of 'actually works this time'.....

we shant be joining you in your fortnight without rubbish, but shall watch with interest how you get on.
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

cir3ngirl
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Todays the day!

Black bag I just put out has less rubbish than last week so we are going the right way here. About to go and put large red question mark on top of kitchen bin as a reminder.

Good luck eveyone

Millymollymandy

Oops I already put the little foil thingy from the milk bottle top in the bin! but I have been very aware of what goes in the bin since we were discussing this earlier and I will do my best!

What really irritates me is when some of the junk mail (mostly supermarket promotional magazines) come wrapped in plastic film and I have to bin that in order to put the junk mail in the recycling! :roll:

Shirley

Return the supermarket junk mail to the supermarket :)

Oh boy, what a task we've got ahead of us. Our bin will be emptied today too... and once that's done I'll take the bin out of the kitchen so that it's brought to mind everytime one of us has something that they want to put in the bin.

Scared - well, no. Do I think I'll succeed... I think it will be hard... but we are going to try our best.

We are NOT going to the supermarket for the month of December too so that will make it a bit easier, although we've got a suma order due in the next week or two.

Good luck everyone :cheers: :mrgreen:
Shirley

My photos on Flickr

Shirley

Right!!!

I've failed the no rubbish bit at the first hurdle - ironically thanks to SEPA (Scottish Environment Protection Agency) who sent Neeps! a copy of the Sorted! board game (review to follow in due course) - it was wrapped in black plastic and brown sticky tape. I tried to take the tape off without tearing the plastic but it didn't work. What's wrong with good old paper, or at least a plastic bag that could be reused!

I paid a visit to the local deli and fought off his attempts to give me a carrier bag - even though he was offering a rather swish looking gold coloured paper bag. I flashed my Ish bags at him and said I don't need it thanks :)

We then went to the charity shop and we picked up an ace fort for J - for a fiver!! and a load of useful books on various things. Advanced dressmaking... I can dream!! A couple of nature type books and a lovely little book called Red Rowans and Wild Honey - by Betsy Whyte. It's a sequel to The Yellow on the Broom so I'll be looking out for that next.

Betsy Whyte was a traveller and this book tells the story of her struggle through life - hawking wares, fruit picking, tatty howking - any manner of work was acceptable, so long as it provided the next meal. I have a feeling that lots of folk could learn from this way of life. I'm looking forward to a good read.
Shirley

My photos on Flickr