washing powder.... different smell?!

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
mrsflibble
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

washing powder.... different smell?!

I use asda own brand smartprice washing powder, I am not going to change my choice- sorry but for me being Ish isn't about being totally green, it's about saving money. I'm also not about to go out and buy soapnuts because I just can't put my faith in them yet. I'm not ready. And it would REALLY confuse James.

that said, I find Asda stuff leaves my clothing nice and clean, but with no lingering smell. after years of being used to more highly scented stuff, I'm wondering if there's anything I can add with the powder to make it smell nice, so that I can control what goes in a bit. does that make sense? Or its there anything I can put in the dryer? (oh, yeah. sorry. got one of those too.)

please don't reply if you're only going to tell me to switch to ecover or the asda equivalent, it aint gonna happen 'til I or James start pooping cash OR sophie is completely dry at night (still getting accidents) hahaha!!!

thanks for any other input!
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

Vammadopper
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Re: washing powder.... different smell?!

Could use a couple of drops of your fav' essential oil - I add a couple of drops of rosemary or 3/4 of lavender oil to the vingear in the fabric softening tray as I don't use fabric conditioner .

I also add the same amount of fav-at-the-time oil to water put in the iron, way cheaper the ironing water sold at the shops :wink:

I use Aldi own washing brand and it's does the job ( and theres some blurb about it bein eco friendly and acredited but to what Im not sure TBH but better that most I hope :wink: ) and at last check was cheaper than other 'brands'.

Soapnuts in my humble experience don't get the job done however many I packed into the little bag. :( hubby's shirts still smelled of 'hubby' - mostly of he's deoderant thank goodness - but they were clearly not 'clean' - plus they left faint yellow marks on whites.
Why be Normal?

weatherwax
Tom Good
Tom Good

I use Lidl own brand and that smells really nice and on offer at the mo £1.89 a box
Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.
My New website www.dreadpirate.co.uk in it's temporary place, with link to new blog

mrsflibble

azjh77 wrote:
Do Asda do a cheaper fabric softener to go with the powder?
they do, but I'm allergic to it :lol: I use their sensitive one which has almost no smell oweing to it being the sensitive one.
thanks for the tips everyone, think I'll try the oil in the drawer idea. is this ok to do though seeing as the washer has many rubber parts...?
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very

Vammadopper

mrsflibble wrote: is this ok to do though seeing as the washer has many rubber parts...?
Ummmm dunno ... But I've been doing it on an off for a year and not had any problems...

that I know of :scratch: I'll let you know if the washing machine falls apart ! :wink:

One of the reasons I started with oils was because I was fed up with the powder and condtioner gunking up and going black the machine can't do any more harm!
Why be Normal?

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

i agree with the essential oil in the drawer- my fave is lavender, smells like summer.
it aint gonna happen 'til I or James start pooping cash
oh god i so wish i could do this!!!!
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

You can make your own by using washing soda http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_carbonate
mixed and sodium bicarbonate. Just dissolve in water. Add essential oils, if you like. I just use it plain.

mrsflibble

thanks for the response everyone, and thanks for not trying to have my lynched for using an elcheapo powder. Well, our first load using Palma Rosa (rose geranium, my fave EO) is just in the dryer so I'll let you know...

mrsflibble

ok! I have used palma rosa in two loads now, still not much of a smell.

barefootlinzi
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

LBR, how effective is your home made washing powder? and is it cheaper? would it be able to deal with stinking nappies?
There is no other organ like the uterus. If men had such an organ they would brag about it.

Earth mama to two beautiful boys

LBR
Living the good life
Living the good life

Barefootlinzi, I don't have children, so I can't attest to the diaper success. Borax is what my mother used to add to the washing to get the urine out of diapers fifty-er-some years ago. She hung everything outside then.

Baking soda works really well at getting out perspiration smells.
Vinegar gets out diesel fuel smell.
Washing soda is very strong and I would guess it would get out anything.

You could experiment with proportions, soaking, etc.

I often soak things in baking soda water before washing them. I put some washing "solution" full-strength on stains on clothes or linens before washing them.

I would imagine there are a few other things that women used before all the fancy detergents came on the market. Detergents came out after WWII. So, the world of soap must have included effective remedies.

Vammadopper

mrsflibble wrote:ok! I have used palma rosa in two loads now, still not much of a smell.
Ummmm could try a different Oil, I find 3 drops of Rosemary is very pungent ( in a good way) and it doesn't smell overly rosemaryish very clean and fresh! (so don't worry that you'll smell like a lamb chop :lol: )

With lavender I need about 6 drops

HTH
Why be Normal?

Shirley

Won't the dryer kill off any smell anyway?
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Vammadopper

[quote="Shirlz"]Won't the dryer kill off any smell anyway?[/quo

Ahhhhh good point! I don't have a tumble dryer ( it died a year ago, and our 'lecky bills have actually gone down this year :cheers: ) and dry either on the raidiators when on, or in attic room during summer.

Could be why the smells dissapearing!
Why be Normal?

weatherwax
Tom Good
Tom Good

Have just received free trial of soapnuts, am going to try them, will let you know how I get on :wink:
Geography is just physics slowed down, with a couple of trees stuck in it.
My New website www.dreadpirate.co.uk in it's temporary place, with link to new blog