e-cigarettes

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

Re: e-cigarettes

My sister has an e cigarette and she loves it. I can't say much about it that you won't already know except that!

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

They are fab. I had mine for months, and then it got lost in the move, so I need to get a new one.

The flavoured stuff was brilliant, it was really like a hookah.

I didn't get the ecig to give up smoking. I'm one of those smokers who hates the smell of stale smoke. The house after a hookah session smells nice, but after smoking cigarettes, it doesn't.

southeast-isher
A selfsufficientish Regular

alexllever wrote:for me, quit smoking is really hard. depends on yourself. if u really want to quit even people are smoking around u, u can quit. e-cigarettes or snacks are just excuses. anyway, use it if it's really helpful and good luck! :wink:
Swedish snus in the answer :-)

http://www.smokersonly.org/

alexllever
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 275.8
longitude: 43.8

southeast-isher wrote:
alexllever wrote:for me, quit smoking is really hard. depends on yourself. if u really want to quit even people are smoking around u, u can quit. e-cigarettes or snacks are just excuses. anyway, use it if it's really helpful and good luck! :wink:

why swedish?

there's for smokers.org kind site? OMG
baby baby, come back to me :brave:

southeast-isher

alexllever wrote:
southeast-isher wrote:

why swedish?

there's for smokers.org kind site? OMG
See this by former ASH guy... yes! former anti-smoking guy, Clive Bates:

http://www.clivebates.com/?p=434

southeast-isher

Because Swedish is generally seen as safe(st) as it is made from air-cured tobacco and is pasteurised.

Labored
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Green Aura wrote:Did you look at the table of ingredients? I don't know what most of them are (I recognise one or two as components of essential oils) but I'm betting most of them will be synthetic. Does that mean you're inhaling coal tar instead of tobacco tar? Probably not but they sound a bit scary.

Having said that I have a list of
e cigarette ingredients - now that's seriously scary
. :lol:
Hello Green Aura, Many individuals who have tried them say that the e-cig has assisted them stop smoking; however, many of those same individuals stay dependent to cigarette smoking cigarettes, a risky material in-and-of itself. There are some analysis assisting the use of the e-cigarette as a stop aid. One little (40 subjects) Italy analysis recognized that the use of the e-cigarette considerably reduced cigarette smoking intake without resulting in serious adverse reactions.

merv
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

For those not scientifically inclined : LD50 refers to a Dose which will be Lethal for (statistically) 50% of animals exposed to it. Usually expressed as milligrams (mg) or even micrograms (I haven't got a greek mu on my computer) per Kg of bodyweight. Thus an LD50 of 1 mg/Kg is much more deadly than an LD50 of 100 mg/Kg.

As the substance in question is normally injected directly into the body of the victim or included in food, it does not correspond exactly to vapours breathed in. For this you require the LC50, or Lethal Concentration (in the air breathed in or, for aquatics, the water)

Ecigarettes ? I like 'em. But they always run out of charge when you need them. I keep two on me and spare cartridges.

Mervhttp://selfsufficientish.com/forum/posting.php?mode=reply&f=21&t=21377&sid=9d207ba03b205f83853b43669db966cb#

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is quite interesting as I have just recently encountered E cigarettes. I am a non smoker, but I did smoke years ago and gave up when I was 23 so been a non smoker now for 31 years and I hate cigarette smoke. I have recently made a couple of new friends, one on them smokes fags on my terrace and always puts the ends into a flower pot for me to dispose of, the other one sits in my kitchen and pulls on this e cigarette (without ever having asked me if it's ok, which I would have said, I would prefer you not to), why do people seem to think it is ok to do this in a non smoking household. The OH said it made his nose irritated and I had a strange tickle in my throat the next day and a slightly chesty cough. What is in that vapour, is it acceptable for people to do this in your home or in public, I don't have a clue what is in these things, does anyone have any ideas what is in second hand e vape

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nicotine, flavouring and propylene glycol (or glycerine or a mixture of the two). Discounting the addictive qualities of nicotine, there's nothing particularly aggressive in there. However, that flavouring does make a smell and it's rude just to go into someone else's home and make smells without asking. Tell them to stop doing it.

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

dave45

My daughter used to be a full-on smoker and I hated the stink and made her go outside my house to indulge... Now she's on e-cigs which to me are completely inoffensive... well no more offensive than perfume/aftershave overdose and the smell doesn't seem to linger. So from my non-smoking POV e-cigs are definitely a step in the right direction. Quality-control of the ingredients might be an issue... but she takes control by mixing her own!

All the reasons I've seen for banning vaping seem a little bogus... it aint tobacco and it aint combustion products. Interesting times. I'll stick to my vices of beer and wine thanks.

boboff

Personally the people moaning about e cigs I think are stupid.

Burning petrol or oil for transport, heating homes with gas, cooking food you are going to ingest.... all fine.

Vaporizing Royal Icing, perfume and nicotine maybe, BAN IT....?

Really???

Silly.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

I didn't say ban it, I don't particularly care what people do in their own homes, I just don't want these things in my home

boboff

I wasn't referring to you digger!

As you say, you do have every right to set the rules in your own home!

I gave up for a couple of months, and actually found I enjoyed taking the thing and going and standing in the rain with the Smokers!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

boboff wrote:I gave up for a couple of months, and actually found I enjoyed taking the thing and going and standing in the rain with the Smokers!
I know that feeling, boboff.

I've given up smoking several times, over the years, but when I worked the smokers' corner was always my downfall. The conversation there always seemed so much more interesting than in the office Then I'd just pinch a drag etc etc.

Now, I have no smokers' corner to distract me so I've successfully given up for nearly two years, without the aid of an e-cig (or safety net).
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin