tis the season to be scything !

Want to share some knowledge of eco products. Or have you heard about any new eco projects that you want to share with the world?
demi
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

tis the season to be scything !

in relation to the article i was just wondering how many of us here use a scythe?

we do here in Macedonia, its very common practice here. it was the first time id ever seen it done. our grass in the garden always grows like a jungle and my father-in-law came round with the scythe and started cutting it. i was facinated. i didnt think ancient tools like that were actually still used! but Macedonia is a bit like stepping back in time, lots of people use donkeys/mules to pull carts and plow their land, and scythes too!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Rosendula

Re: tis the season to be scything !

I have a scythe. I also have long grass. In other words, no I don't use a scythe :lol:
Rosey xx

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have an austrian pattern one - i'm learning to use it - think i need to peen it a bit to get the blade sharper than it is to get really efficient with it yet though
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

oldjerry

Using a scythe isn't as difficult as it first looks.When my new knees are installed,I shall go back to using one.(though prospective new garden isn't really big enough).Though I still use the strimmer with a blade,for speed,you can do quite a reasonable area,and you can hear the birds,and avoid the odd nest.I've seen the Austrian thing,it looks good,but there's something really life enhancing about using a real scythe (only mattocks and billhooks do the same for me).
Only 2 rules, dry stone in pocket at all times, it doesn't cut like a knife through butter,it isn't sharp enough.Second,keep your arms rigid (even if they are bent,as mine are) and swing your body,not your shoulders.
It's just a technique,you soon pick it up,bit like riding a bike......oh yeah and watch out for cattle etc..

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

we've got a mattock too! my husband was given it for his brithday when we were in scotland and we brought it back to macedonia. when they searched our bags at the macedonian airport we were getting lots of suspicious looks as we explained what it was! :lol:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

The Riff-Raff Element

I've got a scythe. It's quite a modern one - aluminium handle, which makes it light and very easy to use. I find all sorts to do with it.

grahamhobbs

I've got a scythe, an old traditional heavy curved timber type, but it is way to big to use on my allotment paths.

I agree with the remarks about learning to use it properly and to sharpening it first. Look back to a previous thread, there is a very good video link that shows the correct way to use the scythe. You can also find links on Utube to sharpening the scythe.

I remember finding a tool in France that I couldn't for the life of me work out what it was for. It was about 9" long, had a spike at one end and at the other small rectangle on edge, with the top edge slightly rounded off. There were a couple of metal curls either side under this rectangular bit. It took about 10 years to find out what it was, it's a small portable anvil that you peen a scythe blade against. Sharpening with a stone is not really sufficient, you need to peen the blade first.

Scythe of relief
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I have developed a bit of an obsession for scything - especially at this time of year. Its not only efficient but enjoyable (in my opinion). So much so that (rather sadly) I have started a Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/Scything
Do visit and 'like' and add your experiences.....

gregorach

How did I miss this the first time around? Yes, I have a lovely modern lightweight Austrian scythe with a couple of fairly short blades for keeping the grass in check around the allotment. I'm a big fan. I've never liked strimmers - nasty, noisy things with a propensity for breaking down... With a scythe, it's all just a question of skill and patience. It's almost a shame that I don't have enough grass to really get into proper mowing with it...

I would never sharpen my scythe with a dry stone though.
Cheers

Dunc