sunflower seeds

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
squeaky
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

sunflower seeds

Hi. This year I grew a sunflower on our allotment, just because they look so pretty. However, can I actually harvest and eat the seeds? If so, is there anything special I need to do to them? Do I just place a paper bag under the head to collect the seeds - and then eat? Sounds too simple. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
Also, I have recently started sprouting sunflower seeds, and lentils. They taste wonderful.
Thanks.

grahamhobbs
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: sunflower seeds

The seeds don't fall out of the flower, at least not before the birds will have eaten them. I'd cut the flower off once the flower has died, the seeds have formed and before the birds beat you to it. Once you've got the seeds then you have to dehusk them, these you can do with your teeth but a quicker method is to blitz them in a blender for a few seconds at a time, closely watching to see if the husks are coming apart and before many of the seeds get damaged. You can then seperate the husks from the seed by mixing in water, the seeds sink, the husks (in the main) float.

spider8

Hi Lentil. I found this http://www.sunflowernsa.com/health/reci ... asp?rID=53 and it says to roast the seeds with the husk on, perhaps after roasting you can de-husk them more easily? A very laborious job though but roasted sunflower seeds are so yummy :iconbiggrin: .
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

squeaky
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Many thanks. That's great. I can't wait to try them!
Thank you.