Cob Nut Sowing

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Sophie_Chillie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Cob Nut Sowing

Hello, I was just wondering, do you think it's possible to germinate cob seedlings from shop bought cob nuts? Or do I really need to buy seedlings?

Is it possible to get seed cobs like you would potatoes if the shop bought ones aren't viable?

I'm just asking because I'd like to create an edible hedge using cob saplings but I require about 30 of them and one look in the garden centre and on-line tells me that its going to be quite expensive so I'm just looking into alternatives at the moment.

Advice gratefully received. Thank you. :icon_smile:

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Re: Cob Nut Sowing

The answer is that you can't expect them to come true to type from seed. By far the best way to obtain large numbers of one variety is the layering method. The downside is that it takes a couple of years to get enough to do anything with.

You can obtain seedlings here: http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/plantorders.html And in bulk here:http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/Common-H ... s-avellana

Fora hedge you need to think about planting 3 to 4 feet apart and staking between and then ethering the tops together. (You don't say if it needs to be stock proof). after about 5 years it can be "laid", all the main branches and stems are best part cut through and laid over (Usually uphill) then stakes and ethers hold it together. Ethers are long whippy hazel rods which are wound into the top of the hedge as it is laid over.

You don't usually plant seedlings/layers until November when they're dormant. You may also need Rabbit/deer protection.

Another thing that comes to mind is a "Nut walk" where trees are planted about 4ft apart in 2 rows 10ft apart to provide an arched canopy where the nuts can be collected from underneath. It also affords good stick yields for loads of country uses.
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

Sophie_Chillie
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thank you for that. Its just for my front and back garden so no stock proof required.
I'd love to have the space for a 'Nut Walk'. Sounds fab but alas my gardening space can't stretch to that.

oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

When planting any sort of deciduos hedging,even if you only want a dozen,avoid the garden centre and as advised above,buy from a nursery bareroot in the backend.They really aint expensive.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

i got cob nut seedles all over my garden from my tree and have grown and given quite a lot away all have produces nuts
Darn that Wabbit