Growing peach trees from stones

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Growing peach trees from stones

I can't seem to find much about this, so obviously it is not the done thing. A few years ago, a friend gave me a load of peaches, which was nice, and of course the stones went into the compost bin. I found one last year and two this year, little trees that look like they are growing out of almonds (I found the remains of the shell with one so I think it is peaches), they are now potted up and growing away. My question is, will they produce any viable peaches or do they have to be grafted onto rootstocks, my stepfather grew plum trees from stones as a boy and the trees produced fantastic plums. I don't mind if they won't make peaches I have loads of space to grow trees, be interesting to see how they turn out

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Growing peach trees from stones

Yes it will (almost) certainly produce fruit which will probably be almost exactly the same as the fruit the stone came from.
Growing a grafted tree only means that it will be a smaller tree and fruit earlier, but if you're prepared to grow a slightly larger tree on it's own roots and wait probably 7 or 8 years for the first fruit, then you will have the satisfaction of producing your own fruit from your own tree.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

wabbit955
Living the good life
Living the good life

have grown apricots trees like this just though the stones in garden as I was eating them
now got a good size tree and a few kgs of fruit each year :iconbiggrin:
Darn that Wabbit

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks for the replies. No harm in planting them out, I have a nice big spot between the hedge and the big polytunnel, so they should get shelter from the wind in most directions, might get some peaches for my 60th birthday

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Would a greengage grow true to type when grown from the stone?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

It depends on where the greengage grew.
I'm assuming that DNG's peach grew in an orchard surrounded by many trees of the same variety, so cross pollination is probably not an issue, but if your greengage is from a single tree surrounded by other plums in someone's back garden, then it could be a cross between any other plum. Even if it is, the dominant trait would be mainly greengage with a hint of something else .... might be interesting.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

daffodiltulip
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

I haven't noticed any other plum type trees around, although there are several apples scattered about.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

The peach tree was growing in a polytunnel all on its own, I think it is a Peregrine