hazel nuts

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
rogdee
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

hazel nuts

After going on a foraging walk Friday, August 15, I came across a number of bushes/trees bearing fruit. Not being certain what they were I just took one of each home to check. I believe what have is a hazel nut, but my problem is at what stage do I pick them?

Zech
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 52.36
longitude: -3.84

Re: hazel nuts

I saw some hazel nuts the other day. I tried cracking one the nut was tiny - not much bigger than an apple pip - but absolutely delicious. I'd say not yet, unless you want to pick a lot of them!
---
Rachel

Take nobody's word for it, especially not mine! If I offer you an ID of something based on a photo, please treat it as a guess, and a starting point for further investigations.

My blog: http://growingthingsandmakingthings.blogspot.com/

Davie Crockett
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 52.12292
longitude: 2.30910

Wait intil the leaf bract around the nut becomes brown and papery, then they are ripe for picking. (If the squirrels haven't got there first!
Time flies like an arrow; vinegar flies like an uncovered wine must.

rogdee
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Thanks for the info, I've been back to where I found the hazel tree only to find it devoid of any nuts. Where I live there are no squirrels at least no greys although there are small pockets of reds. I noticed there were plenty of the nuts higher up so I imagine that they have been harvested by other folk. So I decided to find more and I did and picked about 1lb but when finally hacking my way into one I found to my dismay that the nut is underdeveloped so I think I and others have picked them too early although they are the same size as shown in the books. Do they mature after harvesting?

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

rogdee wrote: Do they mature after harvesting?
I'm afraid not, they just shrivel and totally dry up to nothing.
You can tell when they're ready when you can fairly easily extract them from their husks while they are still on the tree.
I don't know where you are but in the south of England most years they are ready from early September onwards.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.