Loquats

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

Loquats

Got loads this year. Anyone got any preserving ideas for them?

sue100
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: sue Taylor

Re: Loquats

Sorry this reply may be a little late noe, but I have only just found and registered on this site. Loquats are really lovely at christmas as glaced. Boil up a strong sugar syrup solution and add the Loquats and simmer for 5 mins, drain the Loquats onto a wire tray making sure they are seperated, keeping the remaining syrup. Repeat this process for 8 days, keeping the remaining syrup each day. On day 9 add more sugar to the syrup mix and when fully disolved add the Loquats and simmer for 5 mins. Remove from the syrup onto a wire tray and allow to drip overnight the following day if the fruit is sticky dry place in a sealed container and keep until christmas.

As a note cherries can be done exactly the same way, lovely in christmas cakes, pids and sweet mince meat yummy.
X

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hello Sue & Welcome.(especially if you've got a load of recipes as good as that one!)I wouldn't know what a loquat was if it was stuck in my ear,but doing that to cherries sounds excellent.) Presumably that would work with morrellos,as you're using so much sugar anyway??

sue100
margo - newbie
margo - newbie
Facebook Name: sue Taylor

Thanks for the welcome, and yes it will work for all cherries, forgot to mention cherries should be de piped before processing in the sugar syrup.

I have processed cherries like this for a few years, as we love the typical English fayre at Christmas, and glace cherries were not available to buy here until last year.

Most other soft fruits can also be glaced, such as grapes, figs and even pineapple, and its fun to practise ;-)