Grapes

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Grapes

We started grape harvesting today.
I picked several bunches which produced 5.6 Kg of stripped large grapes for turning into raisins, and 1.6 Kg of small grapes for juicing. More to pick tomorrow but the dehydrator can't handle much more than 5.5 kilo.
Today's large grapes will turn into a shade under a kilo of raisins.

We need 3 Kg of raisins, and the same weight of sultanas later when the white grapes are ripe, to last a year for my daily fruit bun for my lunch, plus Christmas mincemeat, Dundee cake, Christmas puddings, hot cross buns, etc.

The small ones produced 1.4 litres of juice which will be slowly reduced to a syrup for sweetening stewed fruit and making some dried apricot jam.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Grapes

Odsox wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:35 pm The small ones produced 1.4 litres of juice which will be slowly reduced to a syrup for sweetening stewed fruit and making some dried apricot jam.
Sort of a grape molasses. I'd imagine it's really tasty, maybe a bit like pomegranate molasses - have you tried that?
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:17 pm pomegranate molasses - have you tried that?
I don't remember ever seeing it. One of the shops we visit has a "weirdo" aisle, that's where I found the Coconut Blossom sugar, which is like light brown sugar with the same caramel flavour.
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

It's Moroccan, I think. I can take or leave fresh pomegranates - the flavour to pain in the bum to eat ratio is way too low to bother with.
The highly concentrated flavours of the molasses are absolutely delicious though. I even put a splash in my gal's tofu bacon marinade.:lol:
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin