Apple ID anyone

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Apple ID anyone

I have an apple tree that I have no idea what variety it is.
It was bought from Lidl at an end of season sale price, I think I paid a Euro for it and it was labelled as a Bramley.
The rootstock is very dwarfing, it's about 10 years old now and it has grown no taller than 1 metre, and is loaded with fruit every year and it's roughly mid season flowering.
The fruit is Cox like when picked fresh, full flavoured, a little tart and very crisp, but will not store too well as it goes very soft after about 3 weeks. I originally thought it might be a Spartan, but not too sure now.

So if anyone can identify it by my description and the picture I would at least know what to call it.
Apple.jpg
Apple.jpg (95.21 KiB) Viewed 17960 times
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Apple ID anyone

It looks very much like a Cox, but I wonder if it could it be a Katy? Someone I follow on Twitter remarked today she'd picked her crop. Described the apples in very much similar terms, including having to dehydrate or freeze them as they only keep for a few weeks.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just looked up Katy and I don't think it's that, and it's not a Cox as the colour is wrong.
Every apple is a deep maroon red with just a hint of green at the stem end.
It doesn't really matter of course, but it is a bit annoying not to know. As it was from Lidl I would have thought it would be a modern variety rather than some heritage variety, so I suppose if I see Lidl selling fruit trees in the new year I ought to see what varieties they have on offer.

The only reason I'm picking all these apples is to get them in store before the windy weather gets here.
Tony

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Yes, we picked all ours on Friday. Today we're tree moving! :lol:

Fortunately they're all in pots so we can move them into the shelter of the house. The wind has picked up nicely :roll: today and although the remnants of Helene are much further south, according to the Met Office, we've got another front coming down from Iceland to contend with as well.

I'm guessing summer is over.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Weedo
A selfsufficientish Regular
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Acknowledging the differing vareties and names berween us, apple looks similar to a Diplomat. This variety is (was - I haven't seen it for many years) later season, smaller and more tart than the other "eating apples" like Johnathan, Five Crown and Delicious. It was also known for not keeping and usually went straight into processing rather than fresh fruit
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

It could be a Discovery, they don't keep, mature about late July to Early August usually in my garden, very prolific little tree

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

No, I've got a Discovery, DnD, and that's a lot earlier and a totally different flavour.

I Googled Diplomat apple variety Weedo, but without much success. I haven't heard of it and it seems the rest of the world hasn't either. :iconbiggrin:
Tony

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

Probably not Odsox; it was an old variety when I was picking as a teenager so it is possibly almost extinct.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

Ascerti
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

There's a website called: apple name . com (no spaces) and there's a link for identification on there which could be fun as it goes into almost every detail, lots of angles to look into or experiment with if one doesn't work out. You could try identifying it based on taste or flowering periods, on the skin or even by the seeds. If it were me, and that doesn't work, I'd be trying to identify it based on the leaves and flowers of the tree. Sometimes that is the way to go if there is some defining feature the leaves or flowers have.

The fruit looks medium small, perhaps it could be a pippin, there are a fair few of them or a type of crab apple.

There's a website called orangepippin (.com) which goes into some detail about pippins with photo's, and a company or something call chris bowers (.co.uk) who sell apples trees (I found 149 results). There might be something in those too. Remember when people take photo's of these things its worth looking to see different stages of development and from different sources as there can be variations due to those elements.