Rhubarb

Want to talk about fruit and nuts? Got any problems? Here's your place to post.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Rhubarb

I was lucky to find some rhubarb plants here hidden in an overgrown patch of weeds. I transplanted them (and divided some of them) to the veg patch in about late March.

They are getting enormous (I hadn't realised how big it grew!) but I'm wondering if I really need to wait until next year before I pick any of it, like I have read. Some of the leaves are about 18" by 18" (or 45cm x 45cm). It looks so yummy! In fact it looks like a bloomin' Gunnera!!! Or is it a Triffid? :shock:

I need your advice!

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep.........it's a triffid. :shock: ....................Run! :mrgreen:

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

ina

If they are that big already, I would pick a bit - not too much of each plant, or just of the strongest plants. I've done that myself in the past because I just couldn't resist... The worst that can happen is that they don't grow quite so vigorously next year, but if you have several, that might be ok for you! And give them some compost or muck early in spring to help them along again.

That reminds me - I've got a few recipes for rhubarb cake, maybe I should look them up for the main site...

Ina

Millymollymandy

Thanks Ina, I am very tempted because there are 5 which are enormous and if I just picked one stem from each I think I'd have loads of rhubarb. Prob only need a couple of stems to make a rhubarb and apple crumble.

My parents in law are arriving this evening and ma in law knows a lot about rhubarb (even though she doesn't actually "do" any gardening - just gets her poor hubby to do it all!) so I'll ask her advice.