Rubbish year for blackberries

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
teraivyyr
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Rubbish year for blackberries

My partner stopped off to pick blackberries last night on the way home from work, and came home with a very pathetic little bagful.
Last year we had enough sunshine in September to bring them on, but doesn't look that way this year.
Anyone else?

Penny Lane
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Rubbish year for blackberries

I picked 45 measley blackberries last night but picked 4lbs just under a month ago. What's left is rotting in the rain, such a shame :(
"It's breaking the circle.
Going to work, to get money, to translate into things, which you use up, which means you go to work again, etc, etc.
The Norm.
What we should be doing is working at the job of life itself."
- Tom Good, The Good Life.

Loobyloo
Living the good life
Living the good life

I've actually found there is a better crop than last year, having said that I was restricted in where I could forage last year due to living right next to the foot and mouth!

red

its a good year for blackberries down here.. been picking a punnet every day since August..

no wonder there is no freezer space!
Red

I like like minded people... a bit like minded anyway.. well people with bits of their minds that are like the bits of my mind that I like...

my website: colour it green

etsy shop

blog

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I've got quite a few on my blackberry blacbush. It's just a shame that it's brambled all over the wood pile and you have to be a mountain goat to get to them.

Zoe

pumpy

Very poor show round our neck of the woods. They never really ripened properly,then just turned brown.
it's either one or the other, or neither of the two.

rockchick
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

We've got loads in our garden, but they taste very sour :(

Silver Ether

15 pounds picked last week of school hols ..well I say 15 ... thats not counting the ones that were eaten :flower: sweet and juicy and everyday that I go walking i pick and eat still ... so I am lucky with BB ..I just morn the sloe....
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

Peggy Sue

I've had loads of blackberries. There are some really early ones that are huge at the bottom of my horses field, you can even pick a few in July, by August there was enough to make 2 demijohns of balckberry gin and a batch of blackberry and elderberry wine. Now the smaller ones are ripe and if the rain holds off this weekend I'll be after them too (one more demijohn just in case... :drunken: )

My hubby gets carried away and the ones on the outside of the hedge aren't enough, he's IN the hedge with his wellies on- now thats foraging!!
Just Do It!

Silver Ether

Peggy Sue wrote:
My hubby gets carried away and the ones on the outside of the hedge aren't enough, he's IN the hedge with his wellies on- now thats foraging!!

mhwaaaaaaaaaaaaaah now thats my kinda man ... I find muck boots great for foraging... no creepy crawly things can get at you
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

Peggy Sue

Don't get too impressed Silver Ether, it took him 2 years to venture in the loft for fear of mice!
Just Do It!

mrsflibble
Location: Essex, uk, clay soil, paved w.facing very enclosed garden w/ planters

we've had loads form our local park. nobody round here seems to know they're there.
down one side there's wild brambles and down the other seems to bethe fatter, sweeter cultivated variety; again growing wild lol!
they're also all down the road we take on a walk into town so soph's usually purple by the time we get to the shops.
oh how I love my tea, tea in the afternoon. I can't do without it, and I think I'll have another cup very
ve-he-he-he-heryyyyyyy soooooooooooon!!!!

cruixman
Tom Good
Tom Good

were picking excellent brambles just now. big n swollen with juice. but our wild rasps never ripened. most of them just turned brown n rotted. but our brambles are need a weekend of sun shine to turn the rest. in bonnie scotland............jim

Russian Doll

if theres anyone near davy down in essex there are loads of blackberries still...also elder berries

confused
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I just returned fom a wee walk and picked about 10lbs of brambles, they were huge, the best i've seen for a few year , i also passed a farm where the farmer was lifting tatties, he was sweeping the mud from the road,i picked up the shovel and started helping him, as we talked i asked him about the spuds at the end of his drills wherethe machine had dropped them, "help yourself" he reckons they are just a pest next year when they grow through his wheat, so i'm back there tomorrow i reckon there are enough to keep me going for months :thumbleft: