Your top 5 recommendations for wild food goodies in November

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
duncang
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Your top 5 recommendations for wild food goodies in November

Good Evening all!!

I am still very new to foraging... whilst I have been doing it for a little while, I have unfortunately not put in the time I probably should have to learn about new species of plants and other edible goodies and then head out to identify them.

Therefore, I thought it might be a nice idea to ask all you seasoned (and less seasoned as surely more so than me still!!) foragers what would top your bill in the foraging stakes in November..

Please include ideas of how best to enjoy them too, think this might be a nice way of sharing a few serving suggestions!

I can't wait to hear from you with your thoughts,
Duncan

Islay
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Re: Your top 5 recommendations for wild food goodies in November

I hope someone suggests something! I'm very much a fruit forager so far - I make most of our preserves from foraged fruit and avoid buying jam for the rest of the year, but I tend to get lazy in about october and abandon it till the salad leaves come out in late spring!
http://www.islaybower.typepad.com
Finding, making and baking

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Think it's mostly mushrooms in November as the nuts are finished. Still nettles about if you like them and I've got chickweed all over the veg patch which I don't recommend even though it is edible!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

contadina

From southern Italy - mushrooms (especially the large almond-flavoured ones found under neglected almond trees), chicory, cima di rapa, fennel, chard and one for luck - cardoons are just popping up.

Carltonian Man

Hi Duncan, which part of the world do you live.
Here we've been collecting mushies (mainly wood blewitts and ceps of late) many of which are now dried for winter use. Last weekend we picked a good quantity of very ripe blackberries from north facing hedgerows (always the last ones to ripen). They're currently in the freezer but will go into blackberry liqueur. Also bagged more rose hips for rose hip syrup.

for interest http://www.selfsufficientish.com/forum/ ... 23&t=17016

Kind regards
Martin

Lardyvegan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I doubt there's much about now, especially here in the north, and by the sea at that, but anyone know what's about on the north east coast of the UK at the mo?

Just got 'Edible Wild Plants and Herbs, A Compendium of Recipes and Remedies, by Pamela Michael' from the library, and by the time I learn, there'll be snow on the ground!
Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans.