walnut tree?

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: walnut tree?

It's a walnut but it's not ripe yet. When they are ready to pick the green outer casing will start to split and a walnut will appear and then drop to the ground - that's when you pick them and you don't stain your hands either. Hope you didn't stain your hands cutting that one in half as the green casing stains, badly! :iconbiggrin:

and welcome by the way! :wave:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks for your help

no, i didnt stain my hands thankfully!

Not sure if i will be able to go pick the nuts later - i couldnt see very many on the tree anyway and it is on private land. I had had permission from the owner to go pick some apples (which i had seen from a public footpath so knew when they had ripened) and spotted this one further down the hedgerow. Dont want to push my luck by asking to keep checking on the walnuts too!

PurpleMcGowan
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Facebook Name: Ali McGowan

Hi all
I'm learning more about foraging (in other words more than apples, elders & blackberries)
Where should I be looking for Walnuts?
I'm in Tameside but willing to travel for a good forage/scrump
Thanks
Its Better To Be Mad Than Boring