Where to forage in Bristol

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Liz&Nic
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Where to forage in Bristol

Hi there.
Myself and my partner are new to this site. We are hoping to do some foraging in and around Bristol and wondered if anyone knows some good places. We are currently planning to make some jams so any sites that have fruit would be great to hear about.

Thanks very much in advance. :wave:

Andy Hamilton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where to forage in Bristol

Bristol is a great place to forage in, just get a map and head for the nearest greenspace. You might too want to check out windmill hill city farms fruitfulnes project.
First we sow the seeds, nature grows the seeds then we eat the seeds. Neil Pye
My best selling Homebrew book Booze for Free
and...... Twitter
The Other Andy Hamilton - Drinks & Foraging

sassan
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I'd recommend taking a train out to freshford, avoncliff or Bradford-on-avon (a walk away from the middle of bradford-on-avon is required).

All along that valley there's lots to be had (apples, blackberries, elderberries, nuts and much more).

twosmokeforever
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

i'm surprised at your post! and sorry i'm not an internet person I use it as a tool rather than for fun.

so where to forage in bristol, I go outdoors! we live in the avon valley and on our door step forage

eel (ok none since last year due to decreasing numbers) and we are giving the illegal elver fisherman a hard time
perch highly recommended (but now the closed season)
rabbit, missed tonight air gun low on gas. now going to have to forage in T***o
pigeon, I will leave alone until later in the year as I prefer casseroled

hawthorne leaves
nettle
ground ivy (this is not poison ivy)
sorrel
dead nettle
cow parsely (be careful hemlock is now around, you really need to be sure with this one)
dandelion
jack by the hedge
wild garlic
wild fennel (great with fish)
plantain
navalwort
alexanders (getting a bit late, wander around the downs)
himilayan balsam (cooked with the water then drained away)
st georges mushrooms (the park near parkway station)
jews ear (mushroom season is in the post)
common mallow
burdock
hogweed (another one that needs research)
comfrey
young lime leaves
young beech leaves
visit the severn estuary, find some fossels with the children and come home with sea beet and marsh samphire (a bit early for this one)

I have only done this for maybe three or four years, but really buy some cheap books use a forum and the wiki. and just enjoy being outside.

and think about where you are foraging, bad places would be roadsides, oldbury neuclear power station, sewage works and maybe the parks (does it look like it has been sprayed with weed killer?)

I'm on the isle of man at the end of the month for the tt races, and can wait for mackeral caught at peel, stuffed with fennel then wrapped wet with sea water in sweet oar weed and chucked on the barby.

I hope this helps