Mushroom propagation

Foods for free. Anything you want to post about wild foods or foraging, hunting and fishing. Please note, this section includes pictures of hunting.

Sorry to say that Selfsufficientish or anyone who posts on here is liable to make a mistake when it comes to identification so we can't be liable for getting it wrong.
Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Mushroom propagation

Hello all, I have a tree root in my garden which each year grows large white mushrooms. I'm not sure what they are and I just let them do their own thing. but it got me thinking, would it be possible to intentionally "sow" other desirable and edible mushrooms in the same location? eg chanterelles which I know grow in the woods where we used to live and i'd happily find and transplant a couple if I thought I could get my own personal supply going.

Any thoughts gratefully received. :thumbright:

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Mushroom propagation

Well I know they can inocculate tree roots with truffles, so I'm guessing it's possible. You can buy the spores in little rods that you put in holes of cut logs. I don't know how they'd mix/compete with what's already growing though.

Why don't you see if someone can safely identify your current incumbents - you can grow other mushrooms, on logs, elsewhere.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin