Wind turbines on your door step?

Solar energy, wind turbines whatever it is then here is your place to talk about it.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wind turbines on your door step?

Milims wrote:I think that they are lovely! They fascinate me! I love to see their magnificent "wings" turning like magic. Am I strange?
I quite like to see them as well Milims. I often wonder if the people who say they are a blot on the landscape would have said the same about corn grinding windmills had they lived a thousand years ago. Those same people who get up committees to save and restore them today.

On a much smaller scale, I like my wind turbine ... it's a breezy day to day and it's cooking a turkey and sausage hotpot for our dinner ... all for free. :cheers:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

spider8
A selfsufficientish Regular

I must admit to liking the windy whoppers (as Mallimak and I call them and yes, we're daft). Here on Orkney we have quite a few about.......small ones for schools etc., and the big whoppers too and I don't think it would put us off a property if it was close to one or more.
Life's a bitch and then you diet.

Helsbells

I quite like the look of wind turbines too, I find them elegant and not at all ugly.

Funnily enough I spoke to a lady doing an energy survey at my school today and she said that there are two action groups against the wind turbines and that she thought that they would not go ahead with building them... part of me things, oh that would be a relief and the other part is thinking oh, thats a pity.

oldjerry

On a much smaller scale, I like my wind turbine ... it's a breezy day to day and it's cooking a turkey and sausage hotpot for our dinner ... all for free. :cheers:[/quote]

In the 70's we built our own,inspired by a trip to CAT at Machy (Wales!).But the prospect of having a massive commercial machine constructed close to your -place IS a big deal,Every thing has to be commercially viable,but the shareholders tend to live outside the area.

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

Green Aura wrote:We're just working our way through the process of getting a couple of large wind turbines for the village. It's an opportunity for us to raise some money for our community.

The nearest power station to us is Dounreay :shock: -currently being decommissioned thank goodness.
excellent - good luck :cheers:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

I once stayed in a holiday home that was literally a few yards from a wind turbine and couldn't hear or feel anything. This was a few years ago so they should be even better now.

I think a lot of the objections come from the 'don't like change' brigade. As already mentioned, which would you prefer? A wind farm or a coal or nuclear power station?

Zoe

JessieMac
Tom Good
Tom Good

I have no objections to change but can see a world of difference between seeing tubines on a hilltop and having a load a few hundred yard from my front door.
There is an application for twenty a few miles from me and the landowner seems to live hundreds of miles away and most of those being put up locally are the huge ones not the domestic type. :flower:

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

Nice to see there are people who actually like turbines. I love them to bits and the bigger they are the more fascinated I am. There is a big one in South Reading, not far from where I live, it is feeding a big estate of office blocs off the M4. I had to go there one week-end to take a few photos and see the beast close-up. It is not one of the biggest, but at 80m (I think) it is quite a beauty. But I can understand that they should not be put everywhere, like everything, it needs to be well thought of. At the same time, I don't like people who are totally opposed to them, I always feel like telling them to stop using electricity if they are that much against progress!

oldjerry

There is always going to be someone who kicks up a stink about any size turbine,but ironically because of the weird planning laws in the UK,it's only the big turbine constructers who have the readies and the political clout to go through all the inevitable appeals.Here in south shrops it would be perfect for the holdings to have a few small turbines(we're @ 1000ft. the land is marginal),but no one could afford,or be ar--d to go through all the hassle.

Helsbells

Hi 123sologne,
I live just up motorway from the Reading turbine! It is a beast, now image four of those which are 50m higher than that one, less than a mile from your house?!
I am not too sure....
We will just have to wait and see.

123sologne
Living the good life
Living the good life

I understand your point Helsbells, I would not mind having the turbine that close to me for health or for the beauty of the landscape as I don't believe they can be dangerous and I love their looks. But I also want to sell my house in a year or so and if that created problems, I am sure I would not be the most happy bunny. It is selfish, but I would like to get as much as I can off the house, I will need it for the "farm" back home as there is a lot of work to be done there and that will need cash... Where we are we cannot see the turbine from the house, but we can see it as soon as we are on the main road (a few yards away from the house). Based on Google map, we are less than a mile away from it. Anyway, I don't think that if it was visible from the house it would make a major difference thought as there are a lot of houses, warehouses in the way and you would only see the top as part of the town landscape. Still as soon as we are at the farm, I will have my own turbine built, well once we have gone through the mad French bureaucracy... That is bound to get my stress level up :shock:
By the way, Helsbells, are you living not far or in Arborifield? Because they want to build some there I think.

selfsuffclub
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

Milims wrote:I think that they are lovely! They fascinate me! I love to see their magnificent "wings" turning like magic. Am I strange? I really don't see why there is so much objection to them when we tollerate really ugly pylons, wires that slash the sky line, the horrid buzzing from the electricity that passes thru them, train lines and the noise they bring, ugly buildings that house the machinery that brings us the electricity we use. By comparison they are really rather lovely!

I think the fact that they move can get to some people. But then again it's a matter of getting used to it.. :)

paul123456
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Hello There ,

I do not have them on my doorstep , the local council will not give me planning permission , i.e the big exploiters do not wish to have competition of the paupers.
At my work site they are standing at 6 locations , I walk underneath them daily , it's nice to hear them go round , and at every woosh of the blades to think it saves another few kilo's of CO2.

As for health issues , why worry about the wind turbines as long as people smoke , drink , drive cars .I think that
these things cause more health damage than wind turbines .

regards ,

Paul

selfsuffclub
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

I've actually seen a interview of a guy who was upset that he had to watch the wind farm a few miles away from his home. It ruined his view he said. I think this was in Texas lol

Wind turbines are a definite step forward. If most people can get used to waking up every morning and seeing nothing than tall gray buildings when they look out the window, I'm sure we can all get used to few wind turbines.

chilitony
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Any ways', wind turbines are more exceptable than nucleur power stations, even though i think that it is the way foreward for this country to become selfsuffitientish in cheap energy.
So i would rather look at and put up with wind mills, as they will be called in times to come :pale:
captus nidore culinae (caught by the odor of the kitchen)