A small grassroots donation

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
RamaCaida
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

A small grassroots donation

I live in Argentina, a country that is about ten years behind in its thinking about environmental issues. The stores here hand out plastic bags for everything, and they inevitably end up as trash in the canals and on the desert and at the side of the road. There is very little recycling, and garbage is just raked up and burned during the winter, including the plastic bags and bottles which give off carcinogenic toxins.

On a trip to Canada last year I purchased 50 green bags from a wholesaler (under $20 for the lot), brought them back to Argentina and donated to them to the local mercadito. You can read about my small grassroots initiative here http://argentinawineblog.weebly.com/1/c ... ent/1.html
The project has blossomed and there are now several other individuals who donate bags on a regular basis in their own neighbourhoods. Eventually we hope to have a cottage industry established in San Rafael to manufacture and distribute the bags. The great reward is to see how the idea of eco-friendly practice has been embraced by the younger generation, the kids in the neighbourhood who faithfully carry their bags to and from the grocery store.

Silver Ether
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: A small grassroots donation

Hello ... I just had a look around your place and I like it... a couple of recipes there to try and I only looked quickly ... well done with the bags :icon_smile:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Good for you, lets hope that more shops take up the idea when they see the benefits. And I like the site as well. Will linger longer later.

Zoe

frozenthunderbolt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Awesome work! the best way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time :cheers:
Jeremy Daniel Meadows. (Jed).

Those who walk in truth and love grow in honour and strength

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well done on the bags! The kids look really pleased with them.

This might seem like an odd question, but if you look at my location, you'll see why...

How is Weebly to use? It seems too good to be true!

I can't use blogspot, wordpress or many other blog programmes here, anything that comes up with blog is blocked. However...i could read your weebly page, which is promising as i'm using the filtered access here so if it was blocked, i wouldn't be able to see it. I'm thinking of changing my blog to there.

RamaCaida
margo - newbie
margo - newbie

FeeFairy:
I have used Weebly for constructing a website and a blog, and have no problem with design or maintenance. The elements available for blogs are adequate at the free level, and can be upgraded if you are willing to pay for pro service. So far I have only used the free offerings, and that seems to be enough for a basic website. Good luck!