Stuffed

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Muddypause
A selfsufficientish Regular
Location: Urban Berkshire, UK (one day I'll find the escape route)

Stuffed

I mentioned a while back that my bread maker had kneaded its last, and was sitting in bits in the cupboard with a knackered bearing.

Well, last week I finally got a round tuit, and fixed it.

But I have to report that I have just eaten three loaves in two days. Obviously, I had to make sure it was working OK.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Wombat
Site Admin
Site Admin

:mrgreen: Good stuff, mate!

Nev
Garden shed technology rules! - Muddypause

Our website on living more sustainably in the suburbs! - http://www.underthechokotree.com/

glenniedragon

Did you have any bits left over? (machine bits rather than bread!)

Well done muddy

kind thoughts
Deb

Muddypause

Of course I have, Deb. Frankly I don't know why the manufacturers put all those extra bits in things in the first place.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Muddypause

Bust again. Different problem - yet to see if it's fixable this time.

This could be a continuing saga.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Millymollymandy

I'm glad to report that I have the Panasonic like Shirlz has on order! :lol:

Boots

I have a Panasonic... but I am not so impressed with it... funny little shaped loaves, don't you reckon? I would think in this day and age, with all the new fangled technology that a bread machine should be able to at least produce a full loaf... not these funny little high half loaves... :?

I kinda think it is better to just use the machine for the kneeding, and then bung it in the oven. It actually cooks quicker in the oven!.. and you get a NORMAL shape/size... that looks like a loaf of bread, instead of a chefs hat.

Edited to ADD: Um, how ya going Muddy? Got it sorted?
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz

mattachinelee
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I have a Panasonic which makes high stubby-length loaves. I think its great. But every time I use it I wonder how much power it uses compared to cooking it in the oven. Also, whether my confidence that it is better for the environment to make my own, rather than have bread made in a regional factory and shipped to the local supermarket. :?

Good luck with fixing it!

Muddypause

mattachinelee wrote:But every time I use it I wonder how much power it uses compared to cooking it in the oven.
Can't compare it to your oven, but for the brief time my breadmaker was working again I put a power meter on it, to see how much juice it used. 1 loaf takes 3 hours on mine, including kneeding, proving (twice), and baking. Total consumption = 0.35 kWh - just over a third of a unit, which, at current UK energy costs is about three or four pence.

If my maths is correct, a 20 watt low energy light bulb would have to be on for 17.5 hours to use the same amount. A 1 kW electric fire for about 20 minutes. An electric kettle for about 9 minutes.

Making use of the 1 hour Keep-Warm setting after the bread was baked added about another 0.05 kWh (half a penny) to the total.

If your oven is electric, this is probably less than the oven would use to bake a loaf. But if you baked several loaves at once, the oven would probably come out far ahead.

But the conundrum about the shop bought loaf, that was baked in a huge oven with thousands of others, but you probably drive your car to collect, is a difficult one to resolve. Especially when you consider where the flour comes from (at the moment, I'm using extra strong flour from Canada - it's delicious, but oh, those air miles to factor in). I can't help feeling we're deluding ourselves if we think breadmakers are beneficial to the environment.
Good luck with fixing it!
Might try sorting it out tomorrow. It's gonna need welding.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Millymollymandy

I've ordered one to save me time and wear and tear on my arms! Nought to do with the environment in this case! :lol:

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

Hi
I've had my breadmaker for years and make about 3 loaves a week. In my case I use it solely for the interesting loaves you can make. My favourite is beetroot bread, joint second are carrot and oat. All are reliable risers and delicious. The beetroot bread comes out a lovely colour as well so great for parties.

My bread maker is a Morphy Richards and makes tall square loaves. Not the traditional bread shape but I just turn it on its side to slice it. The paddle in the bottom is a bit of a pain as it always stays in the loaf and you have to cut it out.

I use Doves Farm flour which comes from here in Wiltshire. I try to buy it from my local co-op so that I can walk there. I'm hoping that means that the food miles on the flour are quite low. I don't know where the flour goes between the farm and my local shop though. Possibly via Co-op's head office in Oxford so that would put the miles up. Better than coming from Canada though.

Thanks for the pricing on the electricity, Muddy. That was really interesting. A lot better than I was expecting. Obviously different machines use different amounts of electricity but hopefully shouldn't be too far apart.

I never use the keep warm setting as it tends to make toast instead of bread.

Just about to start munching my oat bread sandwich.
Zoe

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Pleeeease can we have a recipe for beetroot bread? I never know what to do with beetroot and I'm not keen on it just plain boiled. Love it in salads, but I don't have much salad stuff at the moment. I've alway loved Carrot and sunflower seed from the local bakers so I'm guessing beetroot would be along those lines.

Shirley

Oh YES please... beetroot bread, and the carrot and oat bread sound divine!!!!

Cassie - have you tried beetroot CAKE! It's delicious. I think there is a recipe in the recipe section. Beetroot curry is good too, and beetroot crips, chips and roasted slices. Mmmmm.
Shirley
NEEPS! North East Eco People's Site

My photos on Flickr

Don't forget to check out the Ish gallery on Flickr - and add your own photos there too. http://www.flickr.com/groups/selfsufficientish/

Muddypause

Thomzo wrote:My bread maker is a Morphy Richards...
When it breaks, I'll give you detailed instructions on how to fix it. Ability to use a welder and a variety of swearwords would be an advantage.

And yes, please lets have that beetroot bread recipe.
Stew

Ignorance is essential

Cassiepod
Living the good life
Living the good life

I keep forgetting I can search.... thanks for the pointer Shirlz... I know what I'm up to tonight... with the kitchen door wide open to let inthe beautiful warm sunshine we are having :flower: