What have you found lately?

Want to talk about how to keep stuff out of landfill? Here is your place to do it.
Thurston Garden
A selfsufficientish Regular

Flo that reminds me of when I was the Quartermaster on HMS Liverpool, working the gangway in Portsmouth Dockyard with my Bosun's Mate. It was lunchtime and all the ships crew were below, eating their lunch or sleeping. The dockyard workers we had onboard would definitely be sleeping. There was nobody on the upper deck.

A crisp tenner blew down the port waist (the upperdeck passage way on the left hand side!) as it blew across the flight deck I chased it and stopped it with my size 10s. Picking it up I went up the port waist looking for the owner. Nobody there. Nobody anywhere! All sleeping!

I had two options. One: make a main broadcast pipe "Do you hear there! The person dropping a ten pound note on the port waist, report to the Quartermaster!" or, two: pocket the tenner.

Knowing the stampede that would ensue if I opted to make the main broadcast pipe, I chose to pocket it. Nobody ever came looking for it either.
Thurston Garden.

http://www.thurstongarden.wordpress.com
Greenbelt is a Tory Policy and the Labour Party intends to build on it. (John Prescott)

ina

:lol: :lol:

I found a note once in the market square, after an all-night booze up (not me boozing, half the population - I was on my way to work, very early in the morning!). Well, I thought, if they were that drunk, they won't miss it...

And it's amazing how often we get a general e-mail round from reception: an amount of cash has been found in the car park / outside a meeting room / in a certain corridor. I wonder how much of it gets claimed. :? They never say how much it was that was found, so at least that should reduce the number of folk trying for it...
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

mybarnconversion
Living the good life
Living the good life

When I was a child I constantly found money in the street - usually pound notes (as they were then) ... it used to make my brother furious...

Now I'm just a terrible hoarder ... latest 'acquisition' must be a lovely 2ft off-cut of an oak beam.

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

oh happyness found 2 8b4 sheets of 1/4" ply i'm sure its usefull wifes reaction "what do you want that for" my reply "but its usefull" here we go again more tutting about my 'goodies' guess she don't understand

try hard mean well and never give up

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

We discovered that our local recycling centre doesn't accept old tyres and we know that our next door neighbour tinkers with cars ... We currently have 8 tyres, awaiting another 2, for our potato growing projects :mrgreen: What a find!

Ratty
:flower: Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

ina

Want some more? There's a huge heap of them here on the farm - back from the times when they were used to weigh down silage covers. They are waiting to be disposed of properly... :roll:
Ina

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

Ina - I'll pick them up when I come up to do the washing up :wink:

Ratty

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/in_memory_of_joeb - Raising money for charity selling lots of things! Please take a look!

ina

Ratty wrote:Ina - I'll pick them up when I come up to do the washing up :wink:

Ratty
It's a deal! Bring a truck... :wink:
Ina

happy place
Living the good life
Living the good life

:mrgreen: i have more goodies but beloved isn't complaining this time .anklebitters think i'm a hero. what did i find a kiddies bike and a scooter going back today for a bike for beloved
i love skip diving
try hard mean well and never give up

albert onglebod
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: What have you found lately?

Golly you lot have been busy whilst I was gone!
I thought I would boast about my new out-of-the-rubbish laptop.
It is running on a linux (teen puppy) external installation to my mp3 player as it has no hard drive of its own .

We were at the university a couple of week ago to collect the boy and it was just sitting there in the rubbish with all the manky old packets and tins .

Having seen a project on the instructables website I thought I'd try to make a monitor with the screen. I couldn't believe my eyes when I plugged it in and there was the bios.

Flo

Chap on one of allotments next to me dug out three Dinky cars during his clearing activities recently and they are quite old ones too, if not quite vintage. Certainly the car models would not be known to the latest generation of toddlers. :mrgreen:

Silver Ether

My best money find was in a health shop as I went through the doorway and it was folded in the manner that old ladies do I felt really awful about keeping it as I thought of a little old dear doing without... so I spoke to the shop manager and handed it in ... she called me a couple of days later to say no one had come in for it so she took it to the police station ... well a three months goes by .. I had forgotten it and I get a call from the police as no one had come in for the money It was mine to claim so I did ... can you imagine my surprise when what I thought was a tenner turned out to be £40 :cheers: the Goddess was looking after me that day ...

Last week I picked up a cucumber on the car park at the Co-op no one around so i claimed that ... then had to make salad with cucumber added ... I don't really like cucumber, but can't waste it ... hope I find summat better than cucumber next time .. :roll:
http://silverether.wordpress.com/

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Silverether

You can be as self-asservative as you like, I said, just so long as you do what you're told.' Esme Weatherwax.

Ratty
Living the good life
Living the good life

A sheep's fleece in a skip! We asked the farmer if we could have it and she was delighted it was going to a keen home!

Oh and I asked permission to rummage in the skip at college for some scrap wood for OH. No decent lengths of wood but 2 metal pails (the old ones you used to have with a big mop!) and some little old glass bottles with labels on (OH was scared I was really going to try to use lead paint but I pointed out I wanted them for display purposes only!).

I love stuff in skips and I feel all good when I get permission for stuff too :mrgreen:

Super.Niki
Living the good life
Living the good life

just had to reply as I've been lurking on this thread for a while!!

T'other day... I found... a HUGE one of them fold-down bag-that-looks-like-a-bucket things (no.. I have no idea what it's called, about a meter in diameter and about 1&1/2 meters deep!), another big plastic blue bucket-type thing with handles, 2 storage boxes (plastic!) and another random box.... I'm excited becuase I'm moving out and there are PERFECT!! :cheers:

Also from the same bin store one of the security guards "found" a Carlsbro amplifier and has sold it on for about £60... I say "found" becuase he saw the lad plonk it in the bin and asked him why he was chucking it out.. apparently the laddie replied with "because I didn't tell my mum and dad I'd brought it with my student loan... so they can't see it... I have to get rid before they find out!!!" :lol:

I will be investigating the bin store again... moving out if fun! I've gained about 12 cups, loads of crockery, millions of pieces of cutlery, glasses, food, a toaster, a kettle...seriously... I could move out every week! :mrgreen:
If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants.

Flo

There's this huge great set of raspberry canes on a steep slope on the walk down to the allotment. Lovely big, juicy ones that no-one else is touching. So I've had two large punnets full over the past four days! I can't reach the top ones but I'll take all the ones that I can reach as they ripen. :wink:

Yes I have a trio of canes on the allotment but have to share with the family due to their contributions to the cost. So all extra finds are welcome!