What are you reading?

By popular demand - The book review section.
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: What are you reading?

I am in Scotland Fictionally at present with the Christopher Brookmyre novels on second read from 7 or so years ago.

Dear Coca Cola, is a funny short read about letters of complaint, rather amuzing.
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

oldjerry

[quote="Green Aura"]I've just finished The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. I loved it (not sure what that says about me :lol: )

I've read a couple of the Montalbano books OJ and found them most amusing - much better than the TV adaptation which seem pretty faithful to the storyline without the humour.

If you like Montalbano,you'll love the Zen novels (the late Michael Dibden) forget the TV adaptation(the worst of all time).It's detective fiction,but really well written .

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Thanks OJ I'll have a look when the library van comes next week.

Boboff, Christopher Brookmyre is one of my favourites - the opening chapter of his first book must be one of the funniest ever written, I shrieked with laughter.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

boboff

Eye, indeed, Second Hand Soup and Jobbies in Abundance!
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've really got into Cosy Mysteries lately.

http://www.cozy-mystery.com/

I started with MC Beaton's Agatha Raisin series. They're brilliant!

edited to change the website to the proper one.

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

I thought I'd restart this thread. I got for Christmas some great presents but as I have a kindle I only got two paper books. The ragged edge of silence by John Francis and The book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.

I have only started the ragged edge of silence but so far so good.
What books did you get?
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

cideristhefuture
Tom Good
Tom Good

Uncle Toms Cabin, asked for 'classic' books and this is what I got. Was on my list so very happy.

the.fee.fairy
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm still with the cosies. I'm reading Sammi Carter's Candy Shop Mysteries at the moment. I'm halfway through the 4th book.

I did just finish 'Another Man's Trousers and Other Stories' by Sue Whitaker. It was a free download to the kindle. It was ok, but she pretends to not be judgemental, while being really judgemental about people! She makes these judgemental statements and then says 'but [x person] was so interesting'.

I've got 'Unfinished Business and Other Stories' by her too. They're about the years she spent managing charity shops and are supposed to be about customers and things that happen.

I finished Joe Vampire the other day (another free download - the only reason I got my kindle is for free downloads!!). It was quite good actually. It's about a bloke who becomes a vampire and blogs about it.

I also liked The Witches Bureau of Investigation too, that was a good book.

contadina

I just finished the Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng, which, is by far, the best book I read off last year's Booker prize list.

With the garden representing memory, loss and finding order amongst chaos, it's a beautifully written book with many themes seamlessly woven, against the backdrop of Malaya independence.

Garden of Evening Mists delves into the pain of lost humanity during times of war, honour, nationalism, and the aforementioned memory and loss. It's a hauntingly moving read, sumptuously written.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I've just finished "The last testament of Jessie Lamb" by Jane Rodgers. Thoroughly enjoyed it, not least because it was set in the area I lived in for 20+ years before moving up here.

Perhaps my most enjoyable read in the last year was one that was published by YouWriteOn.com, sponsored by the Arts Council. After peer review, the best are published. This one is called "More deaths than one" by Bryan Islip. I've not seen any others but if this is the standard I'll happily buy others.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Sadoldhippy
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

I have just finished Soul Hunters by Rane Willerslev, it is about hunting, animism and stuff amongst the Siberian Yukaghirs. A really interesting and thought provoking book. I am currently reading Technological Slavery , the collected writings of Ted Kaczynski.
My blog: http://environmentchaos.blogspot.co.uk
Comments appreciated :-)

fruitcake
Living the good life
Living the good life

I got lots of book tokens, so I've just finished "a streetcat named bob" by James Bowen and "the wolf within" Shaun Ellis. Both were 'couldn't put down' books. Waiting I've got "the witch of portobello" paulo coellho, (loved his other stuff), "state of wonder" Ann patchett (not read any of her stuff before) and I got 'hedgerow medicine' Julie & Matthew seal. I was also passed a copy of 'plants for a future' :icon_smile: which I've been dipping in and out of......
And I've still got a token left so have been perusing earlier posts on this thread for ideas :cheers:

trinder
Living the good life
Living the good life

. Waiting I've got "the witch of portobello" paulo coellho, (loved his other stuff),

I'll be interested in your views of that one.
On the issue of animals for research "The question is not, 'Can they reason?' nor, 'Can they talk?' but rather, 'Can they suffer?'" Jeremy Bentham

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Im finishing the very last Twilight book, 'Rising sun'. It's not the one they made into the last film, this one is back to the beginning of the story, the first book, and this time it's from Edwards point of view. It's kind of like i'v already read it as i'v read all of the books, 6 in total, but it's good to get inside Edwards head and find out what he's thinking. It's dragging on a bit though, like all the books do at times, but i need to finish it or else my life will be incomplete. :lol:
As with most books they make into movies, the book's are much better than the films. They've cut loads of bits out when they made the films, and i think you're much more in touch with the characters through the books than you get from the films.

Also on my to read list is another book i started and didn't finish. 'In search of Schrodingers cat' which is a physics book and makes my brain hurt a bit which will be why i'v not finished it yet :lol: That will be getting tackled soon too, as soon as i finish twilight :mrgreen:
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

baldybloke
Living the good life
Living the good life

Just started reading Wildwood by Roger Deaken. So far so good.
Has anyone seen the plot, I seem to have lost mine?