Yuba

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Graye
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

Yuba

Here are two Yuba recipes for anyone who can't find it in the shops - a carry on from my Mock Turkey recipe. I've never seen any here in France although I'm sure there will be some in the bigger cities.

The first is the better one, making the soya milk yourself from beans. The skin can be used for all sorts of things, sliced like noodles, crisps, etc or just to make a crackling type skin for veggie roasts. It's also great for making spring rolls!

1 cup whole soaked soybeans (soaked overnight )
14 cups of boiling water
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4-1 teaspoon salt
You can include sweetener of some sort here, sugar, syrup etc but this is the savoury version

Method
Bring 4 cups water to a vigorous boil and add 1 tsp. baking soda.
Drop 1 cup soaked soybeans directly into the rapidly boiling water and blanch for 5 minutes.
Drain and rinse with hot water
Drop the rinsed soybeans directly into a further 4 cups vigorously boiling water containing 1 tsp. baking soda and blanch for 5 minutes.
Drain and rinse with hot water.
Process the blanched soybeans with 4-6 cups very hot water (near boiling) for 3 minutes using a blender set at high speed. The lid MUST be held on firmly!
You will probably need two batches. Filter the raw soymilk by pouring it through several layers of cheese cloth. After the soy slurry (called okara) in the cheese cloth has cooled to a safe temperature to avoid burning your hands, rinse the okara with 1/2 cup boiled water and hand squeeze the cheese cloth to extract as much of the remaining soymilk as possible. Dispose of the raw okara or you can freeze for it for other Oriental recipes.
Add the salt and sweetener (if using). Simmer the soy milk uncovered for 30 minutes in a double boiler. A thick skin will form. Ease it away from the pan sides. Then remove the skin carefully in sheets with chopsticks and let it dry it draped over two chopsticks. This is the yuba.
Serve soy milk hot or cold. It will keep in the fridge for up to 10 days.

You can do the same thing with ready prepared soymilk. I must admit I have used this more often as it is less time consuming than the recipe above, although this skin is more flimsy. However it tastes more or less the same. Heat 1/2 pint of soymilk in a frying pan until it is very hot but not boiling. Lower the heat and leave for about 7 minutes. Ease the thick skin which will have formed from the sides of the pan and use chopsticks to slide it off the surface. The same pan will probably make three "sheets".
Growing old is much better then the alternative!