Kilner flip top jars for chutney??

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
boboff
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Kilner flip top jars for chutney??

Hello

To make any Jam or Chutney 100% safer and longer lasing you can pastuerise, this I am sure you all know.

BUT.

LIdl have Preservers in stock at the moment for £40.

Very Very Good piece of kit, audible alarm when target temp reached, tap, handles, big enough for about 14lbs of jam at a time.

These work especially well with kilner jars.

Vigo Supplies sell these for £120 plus, so massive saving. ( There were 2 left in Tavistock yesterday!)
Millymollymandy wrote:Bloody smilies, always being used. I hate them and they should be banned.
No I won't use a smiley because I've decided to turn into Boboff, as he's turned all nice all of a sudden. Grumble grumble.
http://boboffs.blogspot.co.uk/

Cheezy

Kilner jars are great, I have used my rubber seals for years I just put them in boiling water to sterilise. To release once you want to reopen them the first time you pull on the rubber tab at the side, it usually works. If not reheat.

One thing to note if making any vinegar based preserve, and reusing old jam jars etc you must use jars with plastic coated lids, otherwise they can corrode. And the plastic coating must be OK, small holes in it will rapidly go rusty.

I wash and dry my jars then place in the oven at about 120'c for at least 15 mins, take out when you need them. Don't put the lids in as the plastic can melt. these I wash and pour boiling water over and leave until I need them. Technically you should boil them.

I would fully recommend the river cottage preserve book by Pam its great.
It's not easy being Cheezy
So you know how great Salsify is as a veg, what about Cavero Nero,great leaves all through the winter , then in Spring sprouting broccolli like flowers! Takes up half as much room as broccolli

Millymollymandy

I put lids in and the orange rubber seals from Le Parfait jars and never had a problem - 120C is too cool to melt anything.

I put them in a cold oven, switch to 120C and leave for 20 mins once it's got up to temp. Then turn off oven and leave jars inside until ready to bottle up. This comes from my preserving book and it's never failed me.

Had a funny recently with a neighbour cos they do a lot of canning of veg etc (using those Le Parfait jars) but that is called sterilisation. When it came up that I sterilised my jam jars in the oven she thought I meant I sterilised the fruit and veg IN the jars in the oven and wanted to know how. There was a lot of confusion as it was really hard to explain because they don't have separate words for canning/bottling and sterilising - it's just the same word. :roll:

French is really hard sometimes as we have so many more words than they do so it is really hard to get the point across at times. :dontknow:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/