Home produced soup

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Home produced soup

At the moment I have a pot of soup bubbling away on the wood burner, and it occurred to me that I'm one step away from it all being home produced in every way.
For starters the wood that's cooking it is home grown, all the veggies are home grown .. it's a sort of cross between a leek & potato and minestrone with onion, garlic, leek, peppers, borlotti beans, potatoes and a jar of tomatoes with rosemary, winter savoury, thyme and lemon balm for flavouring. The stock is home made from our own chicken and even the water is home produced from our own private supply.
And the one thing that spoils it, SALT, out of a packet, produced in goodness knows where.
And the stupid thing is the sea is only 100 yards away, nice clear, clean Atlantic Ocean.
So now I will just HAVE to go and get a bucket full and let it evaporate, just for the heck of it. :lol:

(Sorry MMM, I know ... two sentences starting with AND, tut tut. :shock: )
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: Home produced soup

Or, you could just use the seawater as a base - I watched an Anthony Boudain(?) programme last night and one of the chefs did just that.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Big Al
A selfsufficientish Regular

And whast about the cooking pot? And was it made by you or did you buy it? And di you make the fire / stove/ wood burner?? and am I going to get a slap? :hugish:

This topic just shows why you can be self sufficient ISH but not totally self sufficient because to be so you would need to make everything including smelting the whatever it is to make the cast iron for the stove.
Whenever people say I want to be self sufficient I say it is impossible to be totally self sufficient. .

I'll get my coat.....
Last edited by Big Al on Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a good idea GA, I should have thought of that as it's the local way to poach whole salmon down here.
That way I could keep a bottle of seawater and use it like other condiments.
Tony

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Big Al wrote:And whast about the cooking pot? And was it made by you or did you buy it? and am I going to get a slap? :hugish:
No Al, I didn't make the pot, or the stove it's on, nor the house it's in. Come to that, I didn't "make" the water either but that might be the answer to my salt problem. :lol:
Tony

Millymollymandy

I'll allow you your sentences starting with AND as I do that too :wink: Wouldn't sea water change the flavouring of your soup? I think making your own sea salt would be a great idea!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

id love to make my own salt but unfortunatly macedonia is land locked :(
suppose we could jump in the car and drive over the border to greece. the nearest beach is about 3 hours drive away. but the cost of petrol will definetly out weight the cost of just buying salt from the local shop, so its pointless. AND, yes, its not possible to be totally self-sufficient, unfortunatly :(
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Millymollymandy wrote:I'll allow you your sentences starting with AND as I do that too
My old English teacher would have apoplexy about that.
He said you can ONLY start a sentence with "And" if you're writing the Bible. :iconbiggrin:
Mind you, he said a lot of other things too and is almost certainly dead now.
Tony

Marmalady
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Or you could leave out the salt altogether - from the list of ingredients it sounds quite tasty enough without it!

Most people eat far too much salt in their daily diet, so try re-educating your palate and really taste the food!

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just for MMM ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Eng ... onceptions

Now you can argue from strength, Tony :lol:

Mike
The secret of life is to aim below the head (With thanks to MMM)

Big Al

MKG wrote:Just for MMM ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Eng ... onceptions

Now you can argue from strength, Tony :lol:

Mike
" Teachers and textbook writers often invent rules which their students and readers repeat and perpetuate. These rules are usually statements about English usage which the authors imagine to be, as a rule, true. But statements of this kind are extremely difficult to formulate both simply and accurately. They are rarely altogether true; often only partially true; sometimes contradicted by usage itself. Sometimes the contrary to them is also true.[2]" from wikipedia..

So IF YOU SPOKE PROPER ENGLAND LIKE I USED TO DID IT WOULD BE OK?

I'll definatly get my coat now.... cos baby it's cold outside.
Member of the Ishloss weight group 2013. starting weight 296.00 pounds on 01.01.2013. Now minus 0.20 pounds total THIS WEEK - 0.20 pounds Now over 320 pounds and couldn't give a fig...
Secret Asparagus binger

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Al, you can - and have always been able to - speak and write as you want. There have never been and still aren't any official rules. The first "standard" English was based on Latin constructions and was spoken by less than 1% of the population (those in medieval universities). The invention of the printing press standardised things a bit, but as most people couldn't read it didn't make a great deal of difference to the way people spoke. And people still speak in different ways - Britain has more and greater dialectical variety than any other "single" language area. 600 years ago I, living in the Midlands, would not have understood a word said by someone living in Devon. Sometimes, I still don't. Not to mention the North-East. Or Liverpool. Or Brum.

And so you can begin a sentence with a conjunction, and no-one can tell you a preposition is the wrong word to end a sentence with.

The only sensible rule is mutual understandability.

Mike (being hypocritical as all Hell as I'm a member of the grammar police :iconbiggrin: )

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

And :iconbiggrin: so I can start my sentences how I like then ?
But :iconbiggrin: that would have cut no ice with my English teacher, he would have said "Boy, I don't care what Mr Wiki says, in MY class you will do as I say"
But :iconbiggrin: as I said, he's long gone now.

Now, what about the thorny question of apostrophe's in inappropriate place's, has that fallen by the wayside as well ?
Tony

MKG
Site Admin
Site Admin

http://www.eng-lang.co.uk/apostrophe_rules.htm

All requirements met here, sir.

Mike

Hang on ... shouldn't this be about soup?

Millymollymandy

BUT :lol: I haven't got time to read all that right now..... but I would just like to say I didn't say it was correct.... I just said that I do it!!!! I start lots of sentences with AND and BUT, not if I was writing a formal letter but a forum post is a bit different!
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/