How much?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

How much?

I posted a topic in the tv section recently about preppers , that is people who are preparing for a future world collapse of some kind. Following the recent sad events with the shootings in America I added to that topic as the press had made a point of saying that the murders mother was a prepper and she was shot by her son with one of her own guns.
While goggling the story I also came across sites that sell prepper supplies and was amazed at what I have seen selling.Tinned food with a 25year life at around the £35-40 mark and dried packet foods at equally expensive prices. Seems to me someone is making a fortune out of other peoples fears.
I was always under the assumption that tinned food has a very long shelf life anyway if the tin is undamaged so what makes this stuff any different?
the link-
http://www.eagle-outdoors.co.uk/mountain-house-uk.html

Pete

Teadrinking
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
latitude: 53.48294
longitude: 2.219382

Re: How much?

Wow that's weirdly fascinating, be interesting to know how much of this stuff they sell.
I wonder if they’ll be a little dip in sales after midnight tomorrow if the Mayan believers are proven incorrect.
Be interesting to see what scary chemical additives are in there to prolong shelf life.

Crickleymal
Living the good life
Living the good life

Apart from preppers the only other use I have seen is in survival caches in caves. There's one cave near me which is cut off by the tide for some time and if anyone had an accident or was trapped in there they would need some sustenance. The local caving clubs provide an emergency cache of food and other survival aids which is renewed every few years. Mind ewe it is the only one I know of so that market is pretty limited.
Malc

High in the sky, what do you see ?
Come down to Earth, a cup of tea
Flying saucer, flying teacup
From outer space, Flying Teapot

The Riff-Raff Element
A selfsufficientish Regular

The prices!!!! Clearly catering to the fruitcake-fringe is highly lucrative :shock:

demi
latitude: 41° 50' N
longitude: 22° 00' E

Maybe thats the business to get into, selling over priced preserved foods! When tomorrow fails to be the end of the world someone will re calculate it for another 5 years from now, so it's a never ending business :lol: and when you consider inflation, you can bump up the price of your preserved goods even further!
Tim Minchin - The Good Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

'If you just close your eyes and block your ears, to the acumulated knowlage of the last 2000 years,
then morally guess what your off the hook, and thank Christ you only have to read one book'

The Riff-Raff Element

2016 is the next doom-date, I believe.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Well there hasn't been a doomsday date that has actually been anything like correct so I won't be holding my breath in 2016.
I've recently discovered that the 25 year cans evidently use some sort of nitrogen replacement technogology which replace 98% of the oxegen so the food doesn't degrade in a virtually inert atmosphere.Mind I've also read that regular tins are good for decades as long as there isn't any damage.
money, paying , pick and all that
Demi , maybe you are right about getting into that business. I get a suspision that some of this food will just sit in a hoard for years and probably doesn't even get eaten anyway.

Pete