Wood smoking.

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Wood smoking.

I've seen that some people on here smoke their own food and have built their own smokers. This is something I've thought about for a while now but like so many things haven't quite got round to it.
I understand the principals and to begin with I am just going to aim at smoking for taste rather than preserving. There seems to be a decent amount of information about using different woods although little about what not to use.
As a woodworker I have always got access to sawdust and chippings and use a variety of timbers. Woods like oak I know I can use , I've even seen bags of it sold on e-bay which is something else that has crossed my mind too.Fruit woods are again ok and I have some pear logs that I was laying aside for turning but which has unfortunately developed shakes or small splits pretty much rendering it useless.
But , what should I not use. Obviously anything treated won't be useable and I'd assume yew and laburnem would be a no no. However, what about softwoods as they are always being used in the workshop? Some I know have a high level of resins such as pitch pine but others such as whitewood are "bland" for want of a better word. Then there are the African hardwoods , some of which can be difficult to determine exactly ( I commonly refer to african hardwoods as SAS or "some african stuff" or words to that effect).The dust itsself can he hazardous to breath in but I don't know about the smoke.
Does the age of the timber effect the taste of the smoke? I have green oak but also some that is tudor in age and is a rich dark brown colour.
Sorry for what might seem a long post just full of questions but being essentially tight I don't want to waste food by smoking it in an acrid smog.

Pete