The Boiler of Sevilles

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
oldjerry
A selfsufficientish Regular

The Boiler of Sevilles

Richard our brilliant(if a tad grumpy)Greengrocer will shortly be stocked with my fav fruit,in season maybe 2/3 weeks.Trouble is ,when I've made the marmalade,and it's in the jars,,I eat it like it's going out of fashion,it never lasts beyond May,and I'm trying to lose weight.
Richard reckons his Granny used to freeze them, in quarters,and make jam throughout the year,but will they last a year in the dreaded white box?
Strikes me that Marmade stuff could perhaps be replicated by Bottling maybe?...
All advice other than make Marmalade with some other inferior fruit, gratefully received!!..Thanks, OJ.

diggernotdreamer
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Boiler of Sevilles

I have frozen seville oranges and lemons. I found some organic lemons on offer so bought them and froze them, same with the seville oranges, I freeze them whole but you could freeze them in smaller bits. If a recipe calls for some orange or lemon zest, you can get them out and grate if off the frozen fruit for your recipe. They are a bit squidgy when they are defrosted, but this is not a problem for marmalade, you can get the pith off a bit more easily, I had some in the freezer for 3 years cos I forgot them, defrosted them and they were fine

The Riff-Raff Element

I've heard of people freezing them too. I can't think of a reason why they couldn't bottled in quarters either.

oldjerry

That's a good idea,really,do all the usual orange prep ,then freeze.I'm pretty certain that it'll work if they are quartered then frozen,so I'll try BOTH in case one goes pear-shaped ,(as it were!)...thanks each,will report result summertime. OJ.