Empty supermarket recipes

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Flo
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Empty supermarket recipes

People don't change or learn from the last time do they? Do you think they've run out of loo paper already?

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Weedo wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:36 pm One state in Oz has had a significant spike in positive cases following some relaxing of the rules
This seems to be the case wherever they've eased restrictions. Although return to lockdown seems to be the onus of regional, rather than national, government now.

In Scotland we've had no deaths for 3 days in a row and people are starting to talk and act like we've got rid of it, going to the beach in large numbers (not as bad as in England but enough to start another wave), not wearing masks etc.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina

I just fear that here (like in most places) they are doing the easing of lockdown back to front. They tell people they can go everywhere - but they don't open the public loos, leading to serious pollution everywhere... They tell people to get back to work, but they don't increase public transport - they just tell the companies not to fill up buses and trains... Well, I can''t wait another hour for a bus if the one I need to go on is full! Doesn't help that our institute still has reduced opening hours. They tell us to stagger our working hours, but reduce them - how is that supposed to work? (My first day back is Wednesday.)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good luck with that, ina. Have you got a mask? Stay safe.

I agree that they're doing things 4rse about face (as my Dad would have said :lol:). I also have a feeling they'll use this as an opportunity to not re-open some of the facilities on the way. Our council has been trying to shut down many of the public loos - well they're all shut now. It'll be interesting to see how many don't re-open.

Our "recycling centre" - an unmanned skip - is the only one not to have been re-opened in our area, the nearest is 30 miles, each way, to get rid of the ever-increasing mountain of cardboard we've accumulated since lockdown. No mention of when ours will be open. Other sites have had phased re-opening and are, I think, now fully functioning, with distancing rules etc.
Maggie

ina

Well, recycling here is out altogether - you can only do it if you own a car. No access for pedestrians. (I used to take e.g. small electrical stuff by bus...) Very logical, isn't it - you have to pollute if you want to be environment friendly! Cardboard usually goes into the compost. But I can imagine you have a lot more of that than I do.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin

Indeed, since lockdown we've had to make many of our purchases online, mainly arriving in boxes, plus our weekly veg box. Lockdown has also given us more of an opportunity to do some jobs that have been on hold - more boxes.

Being late spring/summer we haven't lit the boiler for weeks, which is where much of it goes - likewise with neighbours where we can usually offload some if we get a glut. My kitchen/living room is largely un-navigable due to boxes full of collapsed boxes. I'm now relying on OH to lean over and pass me things because I'm too short/can't get close enough to half my crockery etc. :lol:
Maggie