No tomato pasta ideas?

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

No tomato pasta ideas?

So I'm locked down with a friend who might as well be veggie, which is interesting given that most my cooking skill is with meat. One of the biggest problem this is causing is with pasta - I cannot stand tomatoes. Between no meat and no toms does anyone have any decent pasta recipes (pesto obviously, sadly my friend doesn't trust the idea of eating nettles, so nettle pesto is out the window)?

... to be fair, veggie recipes in general would also be useful. I've made (basically) ramen a couple times, until we realised she is allergic to soy, which is problematic for cooking from that side of the world

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Re: No tomato pasta ideas?

Our favourite, back in the days when we ate pasta was with oil and garlic. While your pasta is cooking, poach crushed garlic, a chopped chilli or two and parsley in some good olive oil. Drain the pasta and toss in the oil mixture. Check your seasoning (we usually made the pasta water a little bit saltier and then didn't put any salt in the oil). Simple as that. Flippin' lovely.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Or make a sauce with carrots, celery, onion and red pappers, instead of tomatoes. Use your favourite herbs and spices. Blend to a smooth sauce. You can even add some meat into yours.

I'm a bit of an expert on convertible meals - with a vegan daughter we've had years of working out how to make base recipes that can be split to add meat for us and a plant protein source for her.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

ina
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

I often have pasta with leek - mainly because it's quick and easy. Slice leek fairly thinly (1/2 cm or so), lightly cook in olive oil (or butter), season to taste... Add as much cheese as you like!

And a friend of mine always makes pesto with lovage. It is very nice - haven't made it yet myself, but probably will, as I can't get the lovage to her this year.

Oh, and pasta and chickpeas - very nice! Cook separately (or use tinned chickpeas), mix with olive oil and garlic, add parmesan or similar. Serve with green salad.It's called tuoni e lampo in Italian - thunder and lightning.
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Brewtrog
Living the good life
Living the good life

I love pasta with garlic and oil, it's a lazy lunch if I'm hungry, just never thought it substantial enough for tea. May have to try the blitzed veg sauce, if there is a blender here.
ina wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:02 am Add as much cheese as you like!
That is a very dangerous suggestion, may (most definitely) turn into a bit of pasta and leek with my plate of cheese :iconbiggrin:

Tuoni e lampo may well be tea for tonight sorted