Sweet and Spicy Chicken and Butternut Soup

You all seem to be such proficient chefs. Well here is a place to share some of that cooking knowledge. Or do you have a cooking problem? Ask away. Jams and chutneys go here too.
matty
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

Sweet and Spicy Chicken and Butternut Soup

Well, today I ended up making this, as i believe I have read Andy writing somewhere else in this vast self-sufficient-ish world, with whatever was in my cupboard...Turned out good, so u may want to try it...
1 Chicken (plucked not skinned...full fat is nicer)
1 Butternut Squash ( These are going in everything at the moment - coming out of my ears they really are)
2 red Onions
3 or 4 handfuls of red lentils
2 or 3 handfuls of gungo peas ( i actually bought these to sow to try out...but they are very good in soups, so...i will have to buy some more...for those who have not tried them they give a kind of aromatic taste)
1 can of marrow fat peas
loads of black pepper
4 or 5 chili peppers
4 tomatoes

Sounds like a lot (it is....) but a bowl will sort you out for the day!
Put whole chicken in to stew pot, cover with enough water, boil and simmer for a few hours.You may want to put in gungo peas about half way through, they can take a while.
Once the chicken is ready, and you have pulled meat off bones (there is enough to make yourselves a couple of chicken sandwichs here too i am sure..well,depends on chickens, this one had been a bit scrawny...) do this...
Sweat butternut squash and onions.
Add along with everything else. What is nice is to not sweat all the squash. this means that some is still a bit chunky. Tomatoes don't need pulverised either before they go in - just chopped up a bit.
A few hours later, come along and give it a couple of mashes with a masher thing. Don't try eating buttered bread with this...too much.
But, anyway, just thought I would share this with you. It was good for me. Quite easy to do as well. Nice and sweet and spicy.
I have no herbs anywhere at the moment, so do what you want there...
Enjoy!