101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking person

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
safronsue
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: 101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking perso

i'm pretty ish. i teach english to one to one and to small groups and about half of my hours are from home in my office/classroom and the kid are all local. I love what i do, use as much online stuff a possible and try not to photocopy. i'm trying to set up a library of used course books for students as books are ridiculously expensive in greece.

Skippy
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: 101 professions for a self-sufficientish, thinking perso

I'm a joiner by trade and have spent the majority of my working life in restoration which I found much easier to deal with than if I'd been working on new house builds on greenfield sites. It has also taken me to some excellent places to work, stately homes , castles and even the houses of parliment although when the work involves rot and several decades of pigeon crap to be shovelled out of the way it can lose its glamour a tad.
A side to this was a plentiful supply of salvage which I saved from landfill although in my time I've still seen more skipped than I could ever possibly rescue. I could probably go on one of those channel 4 programmes about people who hoard stuff only to have an "expert" come in to tell me to throw it all away or "declutter" as they call it nowadays.
Since being made redundant I've changed a bit. Having the house paid for and no debts I'm in a fairly decent position financially and I'm becoming something of a cross between a handyman and Del boy.
One thing I certainly don't miss is the travelling, 100 miles to a job and a 100 back at night for months on end wasn't uncommon.

Pete