101 ishy type holidays?

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Gem
Living the good life
Living the good life

Re: 101 ishy type holidays?

Oh, I forgot the Douglas Adams requisite! - Always take a towel!! (Also can be strapped to the seat).

citizentwiglet
A selfsufficientish Regular
A selfsufficientish Regular

We've got a 4 year old, and a 19 month old - things are limited! We are going camping this year - long drive to Devon, so we've been trying to offset the emissions by only using the car for essential travel - we've helped to save the planet, but also saved £30.00 a month by OH cycling to the shop instead of just jumping in the car, being more careful about planning Freecycle pickups and days out, things like that.

When we go to Devon, we are joining my sister and her family (in their tourer); and my parents (hiring a static) for a week, so they'll see us rather than them both planning seperate trips up to Scotland to see us - so one car travelling to Devon for a week has counteracted two cars driving from Wales to Scotland for a few days each, if that makes sense.

Despite having the kids, we still do fairly basic camping. OK, we have a 7 man tent for 4 of us (kids take up a LOT of space..or, rather, their stuff does...); but we still go without electric hook-up and all that, and we tend not to use the car when we're there, unless we are going more than 10 miles and there isn't a bus route that'll do the job.
I took my dog to play frisbee. She was useless. I think I need a flatter dog.

http://reflectionsinraindrops.wordpress.com - My blog
http://www.bothwellscarecrowfestival.co.uk - Scarecrow Festival
http://bothwellcommunitygarden.wordpress.com - Community Garden

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Thanks Maggie the Norsehaven ones are the ones we have been to before but are a bit small....trying to save money hence the holidaying together...have found a great one but it is in John O'Groats....never thought of going there before but the house is excellent for our needs and actually looking at the area on the internet it looks lovely.(do you have any knowledge of the area) ...would have loved to have shown the kids Smoo Cave again now that they have grown up...maybe another year

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I love Caithness - scenery not so dramatic as here but lovely. We've stayed in Mey in a big old house that was part of the Queen Mother's estate (by accident we didn't know) but it was lovely - definitely big enough for you. Don't know if it's still for let - I'd heard it was sold.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

MEL78
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

The one we have found is an old farmhouse in John O'Groats which looks lovely.....direct access to the beach down a private path so should be great for the kids......such a shame that its too far for a day trip to Durness.....but thinkit will be a better journey for us better road I think from Inverness it took us 10 hours to get to Durness last time however in the welcome book there was a message from a large family from Bradford I think or maybe Barnsley who had travelled up to Durness entirely on public transport..which I find truly fantastic!!!!!