101 uses for little bits of string

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
Thomzo
A selfsufficientish Regular
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

101 uses for little bits of string

I can't believe we haven't had this one...

Each week I get a box of organic wonderfulness from Abel & Cole that is tied up with two short pieces of string (about 18 inches long). Of course being the horder that I am, I can't possibly throw them away so they get stored along with all the other miculs (might come in useful laters). I have tried various uses, some more successful than others, but now have a huge sweetie jar full of the stuff so more ideas needed. So far I have tried:

1.Using it to tie up plants in the garden - success, it's soft so doesn't damage the plants, but lasts forever, usually long after the plant has died :flower:

2: knitted bunting - not a success

3: Pom poms
Pom pom cushion.jpg
Pom pom cushion.jpg (39.45 KiB) Viewed 20790 times
4: Bag handles
Jeans pocket shoulder bag..jpg
Jeans pocket shoulder bag..jpg (30.09 KiB) Viewed 20790 times
Any more?

happyhippy

Re: 101 uses for little bits of string

Wow those are impressive! My Mum who passed away last year,did a lot of knitting.She always had a lot of off cuts which she would put out regularly for the birds to take,to build their nest lol.Might be worth a shot since we're heading into spring? :dontknow:

ojay54
Site Admin
Site Admin

If you wrap several bits tied together it will not only hold up your trousers,but it's readily available,i.e. just cut off a bit as and when you need it.Been doing this with baler twine since I was a kid.

ina

In the shop we use little bits of string like that for bundling up invoices etc, and also clothes hangers... (yes, it's that kind of shop where lots of miculs lie about - love that word, why have I never come across it before?)
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

I remember watching a squirrel carefully removing each piece of string from my grape vines, presumably to build a nest. It took ages and was highly entertaining (for us, possibly not the squirrel! :lol: ). So I'd tie some up where I could sit and enjoy the show.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Flo

Bits of string collected on the allotment for repairing green netting.

Marc
Living the good life
Living the good life

I do some work for a guy who sells a lot of stuff by mail order. He wraps it all in old bits of paper and cardboard and ties them up with string :)

If you have a garden (or other) tool with a damaged handle, bind it with string soaked in waterproof PVA wood glue - works wonders. I've done a few billhook handles like that.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Thomzo

happyhippy wrote:Wow those are impressive! My Mum who passed away last year,did a lot of knitting.She always had a lot of off cuts which she would put out regularly for the birds to take,to build their nest lol.Might be worth a shot since we're heading into spring? :dontknow:
Great idea. I also put out cat fur for the same purpose.

Thomzo

ina wrote:In the shop we use little bits of string like that for bundling up invoices etc, and also clothes hangers... (yes, it's that kind of shop where lots of miculs lie about - love that word, why have I never come across it before?)
Lol - cos I made it up. I used it first on this forum a few years ago. I wonder how long before it gets into the Oxford English Dictionary?

ina

Thomzo wrote:
ina wrote:In the shop we use little bits of string like that for bundling up invoices etc, and also clothes hangers... (yes, it's that kind of shop where lots of miculs lie about - love that word, why have I never come across it before?)
Lol - cos I made it up. I used it first on this forum a few years ago. I wonder how long before it gets into the Oxford English Dictionary?
We just need to start using it regularly. Miculs - miculs - miculs - miculs..... :mrgreen:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

Crastney
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie
Jerry - Bit higher than newbie

many a micul makes a mucul
Global average carbon emissions - one ton per person per year.
Current emissions in UK – 9 tons per person per year!