101 ways to improve my memory - PLEASE

101 Uses For is popular and let's hope it stays that way. Our second book is presently called 101 tips for self sufficiency; we will certainly dip into this section for ideas. So post away and let's try and get at least one thread up to 101.
ina
A selfsufficientish Regular

Thomzo wrote: Notebooks everywhere, that's obviously the answer.
I have a diary, and an address book. Problem is, either I can't remember where I left either of them , or I forget to check the diary and miss important events that way... :oops:
Ina
I'm a size 10, really; I wear a 20 for comfort. (Gina Yashere)

revdode
Tom Good
Tom Good

Rather than note books everywhere I've always tried to keep one notebook, or at least somethng to take notes on with me everywhere I go. Now it's mostly a pile of wee file cards or torn up junk mail in a A6 ziplock bag. I sort my notes once a week and file then into a systems of folders that I use to organise myself.
I also have a terrible memory and rely on being a organised with information, I'd recommend a book or system called "Getting things done" if you google GTD you'll find a number of introductions on the net. The book is worth buying (or finding in a charity shop).
I think the realisation that you don't need to try and carry all this stuff around in your head is the best motivator for organising yourself. It leaves me free to concentrate on what I'm doing when I'm doing it rather than being distracted by those nagging thoughts that I've forgotten something.

Thomzo
Facebook Name: Zoe Thomas

ina wrote:
Thomzo wrote: Notebooks everywhere, that's obviously the answer.
I have a diary, and an address book. Problem is, either I can't remember where I left either of them , or I forget to check the diary and miss important events that way... :oops:
That is me to a "T". I have a small filofax which I keep in my handbag so at least I know where it is. I'm quite good at putting things in it. I just forget to look in it at other times so still miss events.

Zoe

wulf

With any system, it is important to regularly check back and review it. I've got the luxury of a Palm Pilot, which I can set to beep at me when something comes up (very handy for remembering meetings).

However, I think my memory of what is going on in my diary is enhanced by the fact that I have to manually transcribe elements of the information there into various other diary systems. I have looked at options for doing that automatically but decided that I wanted to take the opportunity to ensure that it also gets properly stored in my head.

If you've got a card based system, set aside some regular time for shuffling the cards into order and reviewing what is coming up shortly and that should help your memory.

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

Thomzo

Hi Wulf
I used to have a PDA but I kept forgetting to back it up. Then the PDA broke down and I lost a load of information.

Zoe

wulf

You do need to back up any electronic device with reasonable frequency; you should have set a weekly reminder so you didn't forget!

Wulf
:read2: Read my blog and check out my music

thefriarandme
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

One of the things to bear in mind is that memory does not record like a video cassette, but more like a reporter's notepad.

Keywords help. Rather than trying to digest the whole thing, remember a word that will link in. On recall of the word, the brain will then muster the information and fill in the blanks. Remembering one word is easier than a page full of detail.

An example could be the name of a town is mentioned in conversation. Suddenly you remember the fantastic holidays you had there as a child and that marvellous gift you brought home for a friend; and the great big knickerbocker glories you had in the little cafe with the blue seats that overlooked the beach with the rocky pathway.

All from one word. :thumbright:
Everything is obvious once you know :O)

Thomzo

Re: 101 ways to improve my memory - PLEASE

Just resurrecting this thread to say I now think I know what's been causing my memory problems. I diagnosed myself as being gluten intolerant earlier this year. I've been avoiding gluten since and now know that my diagnosis is correct. I've found out that gluten intolerance can lead to memory loss, brain fog, confusion and, eventually, brain damage. I'm hoping that avoiding gluten will help to prevent my poor brain getting any worse.

bonniethomas06

I think this thread was possibly before my time on this forum, but I wish I had as I have exactly the same problem you have (had).

I have honestly been worried that I have an early form of dementia, because I am so absent minded. I too forget what I have gone upstairs for, I forget events I have committed to, I am AWFUL with names , so bad that I never call people I meet again by their name, in case I have remembered it wrong. People at work find it hilarious, but I am worried I come across like a complete airhead! I can never remember where I have been on holiday or where photos were taken.

However, I can remember the latin names of most plants I have ever grown or lusted after. I can remember vegetable rotations and Eurovision winners going back about ten years, so it seems to be selective!

It is really interesting to hear your experiences with gluten though Zoe, have you read Grain Brain by Dr Karl Pearlmutter? I listened to the audiobook - it is all about how gluten basically destroys your brain and causes dementia and lots of nasty 'brain fog' type illnesses (Wheat Belly is also good at explaining why wheat makes you fat (not that you are!), can't remember the author).I was totally convinced and still am - but struggle terribly with weaning myself off wheat, I like making bread too much.

Would be really interested to know if you feel it has made your brain sharper.
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Green Aura
Site Admin
Site Admin
latitude: 58.569279
longitude: -4.762620

Before giving up gluten try using other types of organic flour for a while. There's a lot of conflicting advice out there but it strikes me as odd that we're only now becoming more intolerant to wheat - having eaten it as a staple for many, many generations.

The information that has most convinced me argues that older varieties of wheat naturally have lower gluten levels (I use a French variety from Shipton Mill). Newer varieties have been bred for the Chorleywood method of baking - high gluten/high yeast/forced quick rise industrialised method.

Other info I've seen claims non-organic wheat is often sprayed with glyphosate about a week before harvesting, which makes sure it's all ripe-coloured and desiccated for the machines to harvest easily. Heavens knows what long-term ingestion does as the research is only just starting to come through.
Maggie

Never doubt that you can change history. You already have. Marge Piercy

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. Anais Nin

Odsox
Site Admin
Site Admin

Green Aura wrote:I've seen claims non-organic wheat is often sprayed with glyphosate
Not a claim at all, it's recommended practice since 1980 for all types of grain. I means the farmers can harvest the whole field in one go and not have to go back later and harvest the bits under trees which were still green at the time.
It's also common practice to spray potatoes, then they can harvest "mature" potatoes whenever they want (when the price is advantageous), instead of waiting for the haulm to die naturally.
It's also used for "ripening" haricot beans for the same reason, so bang goes baked beans on toast and chips.
Wonderful stuff glyphosate. :lol:
Tony

Disclaimer: I almost certainly haven't a clue what I'm talking about.

Thomzo

Thanks everyone. I gave up gluten about 8 months ago and I'll never go back to eating it. My whole life has changed. I'll post the details in another thread. The only thing that hasn't got better is my memory. But I gather it takes a long time as I have to wait for my gut to recover before I start to get enough nutrients for other parts of my body to repair itself. I take lots of vitamin supplements and use liquid ones where possible so that at least some of it is absorbed before it hits my gut.

Bonnie, I am absolutely the same about names. I'm a bit better at remembering things I've done but hopeless at remembering things I've been told or read.

GA, I've read the same as you. most of the advice is to go completely gluten free for at least 2 years to give my gut a chance to recover.

Bonnie, I know what you mean about making bread. I used to adore it but that's part of the problem. There's a theory that we can become addicted to foods that do us harm. For me it was chocolate and bread/breakfast cereal. When I first went gf, I tried all the gf alternatives to bread but I soon gave up. They're not all that great and, after a while, the cravings went away. Oh, and since giving up, I've lost over 3 stone.

Cheers
Zoe

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

I keep a notebook and pen in my pocket, one in the Golf and another in the ute; this is the only way I can keep track of everything (I keep all my full notebooks in desk drawer). I can't remember numbers or names (I can put a place and situation to a face every time, but not a name) but I can remember that I wrote it down.

Tip - use bound (hard back) notebooks so that you don't shed pages anywhere.

Does anyone else get annoyed at the millenian speak habit of only referring to people by their first names? My other half has picked up this habit recently . For example "I was speaking to George this morning" and I keep on having to ask her which "George" we know at least three!
Don't let your vision cloud your sight

bonniethomas06

3 stone!! Wowzers! All of what you say makes perfect sense - I will bite the bullet one day soon. Just a few more weeks!
"A pretty face is fine, but what a farmer needs is a woman who can carry a pig under each arm"

My blog...

http://www.theparttimesmallholder.blogspot.com

Weedo
latitude: 35.0886S
longitude: 147.1289E

I don't have a gluten issue but do have a genetic propensity to stack on weight at the least diet straying. I went carb free a few months ago and have lost 10kg - the bread is the hardest, just love all sorts and the fresh, warm artisan breads were a major battle.
Don't let your vision cloud your sight