Worming your children?!

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

Worming your children?!

Okay, so it seems that one of the dogs has got tapeworm, so appropriate action has been taken, :shock:

But I am mildly concerned about the kids, they do play where the dogs go to the loo, and there was a hand in poo incident just the other day :pukeright: Don't get me wrong I do disinfect, but it got handled, and the Eldest has been a bit out of sorts of late, and following threads on some parenting forums that I have been reading, her sudden change in behaviour could be that she's contracted worms. Either that or she's deliberately making my life a living hell! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

So what I'm trying to get at is has anyone else wormed their children, what did they use, should I go to the doc, or is a herbal / OTC treatment going to be alright for them. :scratch:

If you can leave anonymous posts, I'll quite understand! :wink: :lol: but I'm keen to know what worked for anybody out there in the ishether, as I have no shame, and besides if it turns out that they have got worms, I'll have to let the nursery know anyway...Oh the shame, the shame!! :oops: :lol:

Millymollymandy
A selfsufficientish Regular

Re: Worming your children?!

What's shameful about it? I grew up in Fiji where we had to regularly take worm medicine - it was a glass of revolting pink liquid that was quite the most disgusting thing I have ever tasted!

Thankfully I moved to England when I was nearly 6 and worming wasn't something that was done there. :mrgreen:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/

Milims

I'd worm and de-flea my cats and then ring the Doc for lice and worm trreatment for the kids so they were all done at the same time! :lol:
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

lovelygreenleaves
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

You can get treatments from the pharmacist for threadworm and roundworm, but I've never seen one for tapeworm so you'll need to go to the doctor. There's nothing to be ashamed of, it's really common. I wouldn't try herbal remedies in this case as worms are very serious if left untreated :(

Milims

Apparently sesame seeds are good for removing foreign bodies so perhaps you could slip some into the bread or something
Let us be lovely
And let us be kind
Let us be silly and free
It won't make us famous
It won't make us rich
But damn it how happy we'll be!
Edward Monkton

Member of the Ish Weight Loss Club since 10/1/11 Started at 12st 8 and have lost 8lb so far!

growingthings
Living the good life
Living the good life

We've all been treated with an over the counter tablet, so we'll see what happens. I'm working on the theory that even though I think that it is tapeworm in the dog, I'm not entirely sure, so have covered all bases to be sure.

Eldest has had an itchy bottom at bedtime, and I had to laugh when DH couldn't understand why he has to take the treatment too! Until I let loose with gay abandon about them laying eggs round your bum, her scratching her bum and then sharing her evening snack with her Daddy! :lol: :lol: :lol: He couldn't finish his jacket potato after that!! :roll:

So the potty is on stand by for analysis! Oh the joys of parenthood... :pale:

Ron and Jean
Tom Good
Tom Good

There are herbal wormers but you would need to be careful with a child - the dose would depend on the age/weight of the child. It may be best to see a medical herbaist: www.nimh.org.uk have a list of practitioners. Treatment basically involves making the gut environment unplesant for worms. Eating raw cabbage and carrot helps. Examining the poo should tell you if your kid has worms. Tape worms cast off segments of their body, although I haven't put that search into google images yet.... That is why toilets in europe are designed to catch to poo before it is flushed into the water :pukeright: Good luck

Millymollymandy

I do apologise Growingthings, I read your post thinking you were Homegrown (?) from NZ. Otherwise I wouldn't have made the comment about not worming kids in England! :oops: And yeah I do need to get my eyes tested! :iconbiggrin:
boboff wrote:Oh and just for MMM, :hugish: (thanks)
http://chateaumoorhen.blogspot.com/