Ishy baby tips!

Any issues with what nappies to buy, home schooling etc. In fact if you have kids or are planning to this is the section for you.
vicki
Tom Good
Tom Good

Re: Ishy baby tips!

I would say don't assume the more expensive brands are best. When I finished breastfeeding i went out and bought branded bottles which my son refused to drink from. He finally picked the very cheapest T***o value bottles as his bottle of choice!

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

Cheers girls!
We're now 26 weeks pregnant, woo hoo! Only 14 to go! Baby is getting bigger and stronger every day.
Warming to the idea of co-sleeping with a bedside cot but we already have a moses basket and were planning on getting a cot bed. We'll probably start with that plan and see how it goes. It's so hard to know what is best when there's so much contradictory information around. I think it probably depends on the baby. If it's anything like its Mummy and Daddy it'll sleep wherever it can!!!!
We're gradually getting organised. Got a load of reusable nappies from Freegle but they're a bit worn so I am trying stripping them to make them softer. I think they'll be the emergency use nappies!! Sister in Law has given us a giant box of 0-6months neutral clothes so that's a start. I did give in and buy a three pack of Very Hungry Caterpillar baby gros! Also now have a massive selection of bottles of every conceivable make as SIL tried to express and bottle feed but neither of her children would take a bottle. I think she's loving the opportunity to clear out!!!

Still open to any hints/tips!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

You seem to have it all under control, play it by ear when the time comes..... and most of all enjoy these last few months of peace and quiet..... Read a book in the sun for hours, go out for the day at a moments notice, listen to music with offensive lyrics, go to bed early and get up late....

:flower: :flower: :flower: ...enjoy it while it lasts.... :flower: :flower: :flower:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

LOL! Even though we've spent years trying to conceive and more years thinking about it I don't think either of us is prepared for quite how much life is going to change!!! We've had some nice dinners out and hubby is whisking me away for a night in a nice hotel for our 5th wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks time. Can't wait til July though when wee one comes!

Annpan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lovely :mrgreen:
Ann Pan

"Some days you're the dog,
some days you're the lamp-post"

My blog
My Tea Cosy Shop
Some photos
My eBay

Mrs H
Living the good life
Living the good life

Annpan u r so right!! Have loads of lovely lie ins, enjoy every second babe. Having kids is the most amazing experience. But my god do I miss my lie ins!!! Lol xxx

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Slings - I LOVE my slings. My favourite has to be the moby sling my friend made. Just a long piece of cloth you tie so if you have a sewing machine - make one. My boy (5 months)is on 91st percentile for everything and the moby keeps his weight on me nicely distributed. Another lifesaver for me is my other half works for a company who sell reusuables, slings, changing bags etc. Freebies!! The company hasn't long started up so we get to test drive some things. Obviously that doesn't work for all.

His favourite toys are the lullaby light-up seahorse (brilliant bed-time) the shower sponge things -name escapes me, but they tend to be made out of springy soft netting in a ball on a string? Linkies - I know they're supposed to be attached to a toy but they're great by themselves. My hair - grrr. Paper, cardboard, spoons. A geeky mobile I made myself out of an embroidery ring, ribbon and some felt toys I made (TARDIS, Dalek, enterprise, Borg cube) and he'll stay quite happily in bed to look at that or his geeky A-Z I painted for him.

Tummy tubs are amazing - do you have a bath? If you want a tummy tub, you can have ours if you don't mind paying a couple of quid toward postage.

I swear by the baby whisperer's EASY routine. I've not bought her book or anything though. Just stuck to Eat, Activity, Sleep (Y is you time!) All my three slept through early on by following that. Although I admit I didn't know that was what I was following with my two girls. It was a routine we fell into.

I'd also advise getting hold of (I borrowed) a book on hynobirthing. Even if you aren't totally pro some of it, it makes a lot of sense.

With my boy being a big guy, he started solids early, milk wasn't enough, GP okayed it. There's nothing wrong with baby rice or porridge or blending food. And I'm sorry to say I'm quite anti- Baby Led with a capital BLW due to the lack of research she did prior to releasing her book, course and DVD. There's research now though, so have a look about. I do fully agree with baby-led weaning, with a small blw, as in looking for cues from bubs as to when they are ready, but I don't believe that *has* to be when finger foods starts. None of my kids are fussy eaters because of it and it's all mainly down to mum and dad. If mum is more relaxed about finger foods but stressing over mushy stuff, then that is when BLW is helpful.

Which brings me on to my biggest piece of advice, is to listen to all advice, but do not feel pressurised to do ANY of it. Do what is right for you and remember: contented mum, contented baby. :)

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oh, and reading Annpan's pre-birth advice. Yup, yup, go out as much as you can now.

Couple saving advice - We still have date nights/days. This is where baby's routine is so important. Baby in bed, sit at table, talk, eat, glass of wine.

If there are things you enjoy doing, most of it you should still be able to do after. I go to cinebabies to catch any films, they have community meals and games night organised around here where bubs is welcome, a book group and a few other bits and bobs. This has been a lifesaver for me- particularly as I LOATHE parent and baby groups.

chickenchargrill
Living the good life
Living the good life

Oo, just thought of something else - never buy newborn socks, always a size or two bigger so you can pull them right up their thighs, less likely to fall off and get lost. We used to put his socks on underneath a sleepsuit when it was colder so if he did get them off, we didn't lose them.

And bibs are super easy to make too.

fifi folle
Barbara Good
Barbara Good

just wanted to say thanks for all the tips. My son was born in July and is now 4 months old. We're doing well with the reusable nappies, have had stuff from freecycle (crib, clothes),gumtree and friends. TBH have hardly bought anything! Got a preloved wrap in addn to one my friend gave me.
We've had a steep learning curve, I was induced at 42wks after cintractions for a month had done nothing, went through all of induction to end up with emergency section. BFing was v difficult, took til day 10. Finally had tongue tie diagnosed and snipped at 8 wks. Also suffering reflux but now got that sorted. It's been tough but when he smiles at me it's all worth it :)

Pumpkin&Piglet
Living the good life
Living the good life
latitude: 56 degrees North
longitude: 2 degrees West

I havent read every post as there were quite a few and I'm in the middle of cooking chutney!

i know the original post was quite while ago but I thought for the benefit of anybody reading now who is due to have a baby - stock up on Infacol.

It is magic! My first (now 3) had about a week of colic until we bought this stuff and it sorted it right out. Got it for my second (now 6 months) when he had colic also and was kicking myself I hadn't been giving it to him right form the start.

It makes winding them after a feed soooo much easier and it reduced colic in my two significantly.

I used to give them the recommended dose just before i fed them. It also helps to let you know when they've burped (if they don't throw up on you!) as it smells of orange :icon_smile: